worst car ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattF View Post
    Did you replace the water pump too? Didn't notice any mention of it in the quick flick through this thread, so apologies if I missed that bit.
    agreed,i would replace water pump and also just tell them to skim the block anyways,and while its apart flush the water system very well

Comment

Thanks guys, I checked the water pump everything seems to be in order, also the water was running through the system well, rad (new) warm all over etc hoses in good condition, thought about having the block skimmed.

Comment

Hi bigammer, im in bradford & could do with knowing a good garage that knows there way round a surf, would you mind if i ask you where you take yours for the work doing.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Give me a call on 07894941954 Paul

Comment

ITS FIXED....haha, not lost any water or overheated, temp just sat in the middle of gauge, hammered it up n down dale as well just to make sure, shame I have to sell it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigammer View Post
              ITS FIXED....haha, not lost any water or overheated, temp just sat in the middle of gauge, hammered it up n down dale as well just to make sure, shame I have to sell it!
              What did you end up doing to sort it?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                What did you end up doing to sort it?
                Well, I figured that it must be the block that was cracked, so stripped the head off again, now I had my local garage do the work first time as I did`nt have time to do it due to me going away with work.

Anyway as I was cracking the head bolts off, some did`nt crack like they should! so i`m thinking it was`nt torqued up enough, well 6 of them was`nt!, so I thought as I had got so far I may as well get the head pressure tested just to make sure everything is ok, the head checked out good but i askedfor it to be refinished so as to get a good grip on the new headgasket from roughtrax, I also renewed the thermastat from the same source.

I refitted everything and torqued up very carefully as recommended in the manual, refilled very carefully to avoid airlocks, both heaters nice n toasty warm.

have done around 300 miles since and my otherhalf ( no mechanical sympathy) has been using it to commute to work, so she has given it a good work out....shame I will have to sell it now, I did say it was the worst car I have ever had, that was a bit harsh as I do like it really, I was a bit ####ed off after spending £££££to fix it, drives really nice and goes like hell now I have removed the EGR....

Not been up to the garage yet, but they are expecting me....

Comment

Don't give up on your Surf!!

After a trip pulling a horse trailer last Sun in the hot weather, my Surf cracked the top tank of the rad (crap replacement rad). Had to get horse trailer rescued by a range rover . After a while cooling down, the truck ran like a dream on tickover - but as soon as I started driving it shot up too hot in minutes. Managed to get it to a petrol station where my desperate fix attempt was 2 bottles of rad weld (one inside, one poured on the crack in dribs and drabs outside!!!), top up the green coolant/water, silent prayer and got it home. So far fix has held all week, but rad is knackered.

Am replacing the rad, hoses, coolant, thermostat (sometimes this is overlooked) in addition to its full sevice prior to MOT June 09.

Our Surf has been, and still is, such a great vehicle - worth the expense of the above parts and more. Its off-road capability and towing talent is superb. I have even had the pleasure of towing out 3 landrovers since I have had my KZN130 .

Be aware, there is a HUGE difference in the quality of aftermarket parts (particularly rads) for these vehciles. You get what you pay for. Check out the difference between the ones at Milners and Roughtrax - RTX are more expensive but my experience is that the quality (and support/advice/helpfulness) is much better.

I hope you get it fixed and get even half the enjoyment I have had with my truck. Keep the faith!

Comment

The typical garage muppets trick then. Glad you got it sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by LockyBalboa View Post
                      Don't give up on your Surf!!

After a trip pulling a horse trailer last Sun in the hot weather, my Surf cracked the top tank of the rad (crap replacement rad). Had to get horse trailer rescued by a range rover . After a while cooling down, the truck ran like a dream on tickover - but as soon as I started driving it shot up too hot in minutes. Managed to get it to a petrol station where my desperate fix attempt was 2 bottles of rad weld (one inside, one poured on the crack in dribs and drabs outside!!!), top up the green coolant/water, silent prayer and got it home. So far fix has held all week, but rad is knackered.

Am replacing the rad, hoses, coolant, thermostat (sometimes this is overlooked) in addition to its full sevice prior to MOT June 09.

Our Surf has been, and still is, such a great vehicle - worth the expense of the above parts and more. Its off-road capability and towing talent is superb. I have even had the pleasure of towing out 3 landrovers since I have had my KZN130 .

Be aware, there is a HUGE difference in the quality of aftermarket parts (particularly rads) for these vehciles. You get what you pay for. Check out the difference between the ones at Milners and Roughtrax - RTX are more expensive but my experience is that the quality (and support/advice/helpfulness) is much better.

I hope you get it fixed and get even half the enjoyment I have had with my truck. Keep the faith!
                      I have owned a rangerover for years...haha.

I do like the surf, the only reason I will have to sell it, is it cant legally tow the weight I need to tow...otherwise I would keep it.

Comment

Working...
                      X