Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpg

Hello folks.

I have just bought a 3 litre TD 4Runner and was kinda shocked by the MPG i have been getting! Obviously mine isn't as special as the amazing 55mpg ebay truck, but is 25mpg normal? I am driving it pretty staedy, but have noticed it seems to drink more on the motorway. Is this all normal?

Mark

25mpg isn't that normal - its usually worse than that.

Its a two ton housebrick shaped old truck. You didn't really expect it to be economical??

Aerodynamic drag rises in relation to the square of the speed. The faster you go, the (much) worse it gets.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

As above, lucky to get a consistent 23mpg meself

Comment

60-65 mph consistent on the motorway i got up around 27mpg 500km with a roof rack on and kayak on the roof, bikes on the back and road tyres. in my 3.0TD.

Same trip in the 2.4 at 70-75 mph, on muds and similar loading a couple of years ago returned approx. 16 mpg.

avg around the town in the 2.4 was 18mpg, the 3.0 can get into the low 20s if driven carefully. Noticably better on the motorway at 60-65, but most definately not at 75-80.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Constant speed is the answer. Its not that the truck does more mpg on the motorway its that you make less changes of speed. A constant 65 might return 27mpg, but you can bet a constant 50 will be better (all other things being equal). Less aerodynamic drag with lower speed.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            ... but you can bet a constant 50 will be better...
            yep, right up to the point where you pull the trigger and end the boredom of watching hedgehogs undertaking you on the hard shoulder
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

In my case I think it burns more at 50 than at 55 when the OD kicks in as the revs drop, is this not right? I worked mine out at 29mpg recently on a liverpool and back run keeping as near as dammit to 55, never hit 60. H

Comment

Find a local friendly restaurant, ask for their old chip fat, stick that in the tank and stop worrying about MPG.
                In equivalent cost mine now works out around 100MPG using veg.

For a slightly more detailed discussion see here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15893

Comment

Well I must be lucky or somethings been done to mine because my 2.4 Does 24 mpg around town and on a long run I am getting 29 to 31 and thats at 70mph!
                  [U]SORRY OFFICER...I HAVE BEEN IN ALL EVENING...[/U]

Comment

Working...
                  X