White Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Smoke

My 1996 3.0ltr diesel surf is blowing clouds of white smoke from the exhaust.
    To date i have replaced all filters, oil and glow plugs.
    It still at times starts lumpy, and now sends the clouds of white smoke out even when warm.
    I have checked the oil and all seems ok there, any ideas of what to do next would be appreciated.

Most likely the head or if you're lucky just the gasket.

Remove the rad cap with the engine running, and see if there's bubbles/frothing in the coolant.

Comment

have you checked the coolant fluid, as most causes of white smoke/steam is a leaking head gasket causing coolant to seep into a piston which is then exhausted as white smoke. if it only happens when you start up and eventualy stops then it may only be condensation burning off from the exhaust system, ie water laying in the exhaust silencer boxes.

Comment

WHite smoke 2

Thanks for the replies, I have also been told that this could be down to a leaking seal in the turbo, does this sound like it could be, and also is it difficult to overhaul the turbo with the seal kit found on roughtrax website.

Comment

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but mine went 2 years ago and your symtoms sound very familiar. Pull the tube out off the expansion tank then put it back in, if there are bubbles its goosed!!or open the rad cap, if it spurts out on start up contact stevo for a new head.

Comment

More white smoke

Guy's because most of the time, it is normally the other half driving the surf i am working on what i am told of the problem. I understand now that the problem is intermittent and that it can be fine for a day or so, without smoke or the lumpy start up.
            I purchased a manual from roughtrax and in the fault diagnosis it says white smoke can be caused by a number of, or one of many sensors. No milk in the rocker top, no bubbling in the radiator, leads me away from the head, intermittent nature of the problem leads me away from the turbo charger also.
            Anybody out there have an idea's as to what sensor and or what next.
            White smoke is smoke not steam and appears to be unburnt diesel being heated and blown out of the exhaust.

Comment

problems with head

After having had chance to inspect the surf, it has problems as previously stated, the overflow tank is dry and water is missing from the rad, guess it pays to look yourself eh!, but anyway anyone know how much it costs to replace the head gasket, and or the complete head, somebody mentioned stevo, dont want to sound ignorant but i dont know who he is, or where to contact for info. Any info would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by mil goodwin View Post
                After having had chance to inspect the surf, it has problems as previously stated, the overflow tank is dry and water is missing from the rad, guess it pays to look yourself eh!, but anyway anyone know how much it costs to replace the head gasket, and or the complete head, somebody mentioned stevo, dont want to sound ignorant but i dont know who he is, or where to contact for info. Any info would be appreciated.
                Click here

Comment

head

Having looked at the cost of replacing the head, it is a tad on the costly side to say the least. When first purchasing the surf i was told that the 3.0ltr didn't have head problems, i guess that was the usual sales crap. the cost of a new head is cheaper from roughtrax. I will give it some thought before i decide which path to take, the cost of this renders them practically worthless, definately the most expensive motoring ive ever had. Anyway thanks once again for the help and sugestions.

Comment

Working...
                  X