Ok, now I'm scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, now I'm scared

I've been reading through some of the threads on here for an answer to my possible problem, and it doesn't make good reading.

About a month ago I noticed that the hilux would put out a bit of smoke if it had been sat idling for a while. First time I noticed it was waiting for my bro in law (he takes ages to get ready, bit of a girl). After about 100m the smoke stops. I thought it was just soot(?) build up in the turbo, common thing with the trucks at work (Bedford 4 ton trucks).

This week I was picking up some stones and the temp shot right up really quick. Right into the red, I just got it home and turned it straight off. Left it to cool down, before I tried to find out what was wrong.

The first thing I did was checked the rad. There was almost no water in it, it took nearly 3 litres. But the expansion tank was full to the brim. There is no white shit or anything in the oil. Ran the truck, went up to operating temp and both heaters work great. A load of bubbles came to the top of the radiator, thought air lock, maybe had cleared it.

Same old story now though. It's been ok for a week then overheated again yesterday. Checked inside rad and although it looks wet, I can't see the water before the fins. But the tank is full to the top. When the truck is running the radiator has a lot of turbulence in it and air is forced into the tank, with bubbles coming to the top. I don't think I'm losing water, apart from the bit out of the breather in the top of the tank. I certainly haven't noticed any puddles or wet patches etc.

An air lock is my gut reaction, does this sound right?
    Any ideas welcome guys, I'm stumped, and this is annoying me now. Just seems one thing after another.

If you fill it up and get rid of all the air and it still does it, replace the thermostat and radiator cap. If that fails to fix the problem then the head gasket or more likely the head needs replacing.

Nev

Comment

As nev says .........you can also get the rad checked for combustion gasses with a block tester .......it might stop the worried waiting and give you a answer to if the gasket/head has gone
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Dropped it off at the garage this morning, he reckons the rad could be blocked, and will test that. If that is not the case he will use a dye that will change colour if external gases are entering the water i.e. the gasket has gone. He thinks this is the most likely cause. The good news is that the head will not need replacing, and the block has not been damaged as it has not been run while overheated.
        So not all bad news (yet!!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Passtheremote View Post
          The good news is that the head will not need replacing
          Might one ask how he knows that? If you get away with replacing the gasket alone, (if it is indeed combustion gas related), you will be one of a very select, (if there are any at all other than the V6 bunch), few. Also, the suggestion that it has not been run whilst overheated is premature. An empty rad and a gauge shooting off the scale very much suggest otherwise.
          Last edited by MattF; 19 April 2009, 16:27.

Comment

Do 3.0L Surfs have expansion tanks too?
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              Do 3.0L Surfs have expansion tanks too?
              Yes they do - on the passenger side
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Spoke to Simon (the mechanic) today, the head has been sent off to be skimmed and he is flow testing the radiator just to make sure none of it is blocked, if so he will flush it. Gasket is coming tomorrow so thigs are looking up, hopefully should be back by Wednesday

Comment

Thats good to hear.

However, call me sceptical, I really can't believe its just the gasket, was the head pressure tested ?????????
                  If not they are taking a gamble on just assuming its a gasket an oh so common mistake made by almost every mechanic thats never worked on a Surf before.

You say the expansion bottle was always full up. Is the hose from the rad cap to the bottle ok. If its got any holes in it, no matter how small the coolant will not get sucked back in to the cooling system.
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Passtheremote View Post
                    Spoke to Simon (the mechanic) today, the head has been sent off to be skimmed and he is flow testing the radiator just to make sure none of it is blocked, if so he will flush it. Gasket is coming tomorrow so thigs are looking up, hopefully should be back by Wednesday
                    you need to make sure that they have checked the head for cracks!!! before skimming it mate, or you will be back to square one in no time
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                    X