X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Braking

Hi Surf owners

I have a 3.0 TD Automatic Surf. (1995)
    If I'm driving in "D" I don’t have any engine brake when I release the accelerator pedal.
    If I wanna accelerate I cant feel any problem, I can do that, but when I release the accelerator pedal, I don’t have any engine brake (it feels like it's in neutral)
    I have only a small engine brake in the 5th gear, but only over 50 miles/hour.
    If I'm driving 60miles / hour constantly, the RPM is 2000. If I release the acclerator for a second, it goes down to 1600RPM and I have a weak engine brake, but if the speed goes under 48MPH, RPM goes to idle speed, and feels like neutral. If I push the acceletator again, it's working, and goes back to a reasonable RPM.

Of I switch the O/D function on, I have quite strong and good engine brake, but the gearbox don’t change up to the 4th and 5th gears (I know this is normal, this is the O/D use for). But I have engine brake there

Is this normal?

I hope this is understandable what I'm trying to explain..

Br, Tamas

Thats normal.
    Over 48mph the torque converter locks up, so releasing the accelerator at that speed you will 'feel' engine braking. Up to 48mph the converter is not yet locked so the truck will just coast when you release the accelerator.
    The O/D button will give some engine braking if you switch it off (button out)but only at speeds above 40mph.
    If you require engine braking going down steep hills, shift the lever into second (2)

Comment

Thanks very much BUSHWACKER! :-)

The answer is perfect, and I'm happy to hear this and I hope that no need to change anything in the gearbox.
      I have an old Automatic BMW and it has an engine brake in all gears, all speed. That's why I was surprised with my Surf. I just bought it a few months ago!

I have a 2nd question.
      If the torque converter locks up over 48mph what I can feel, beacause the rpm is not changing when I'm acceleating.
      Is it normal that if I'm driving constantly 55mph, the rpm is 2000. But if I release the accelerator at this speed, the rpm fall off to 1700-1800. If I push the accelerator back, rpm goes up to 2000 again. Is this mean that the torque converter clutch slipping? Or just it never locks up downwards fully?
      If I'm driving 70mph, the rpm is about 2400, and if I release the accelerator there, the rpm fall of to 1900-2000(where I can feel engine brake).

Is this RPM difference normal in the 5th gear?

Can I ask other members to write here thir RPMs at 70mph?

I'll measure mine and will write here.

Please only Surf 3.0TD with automatic gearbox. (I have 275/60 15" tyres, I think RPM could be different by wheel size, etc.. :-)

I love my TOYOTA!!
      One of the best cars!! ;-)

Br, Tamas

Comment

Working...
      X