Speedo n things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo n things

Well, I've finally got my Surf, for better or for worse. First morning of having it nearly ended in disaster, went round a corner in the frost that I had been around many times in the Defender and all of a sudden I'm driving sideways. That was the first lesson in not having permanent 4 wheel drive any more.

Anyway, the real reason for this thread is that I need to sort out a few things with the Surf (yeah, I bought a cheap one that needs some tlc, I'm a cheapskate at heart)
    First thing is that the speedo works but reads slow, like it says 20mph but I must be doing 30+. Any clues from the experts please?

I'm probably going to get a few parts to replace any worn / defunct items so is it best to just put a list in the wanted thread, does anyone read it?

It's got a Philips carin navigation / radio fitted (not receiving due to broken leccy arial mast), bin it or keep it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Rod

Is the speed deficit even across the range?

Milners, Toyota or Roughtrax for parts. Breakers, (on here and scrapyards), for larger, more expensive items.

Comment

Is the speed deficit even across the range?

Seems to be but I've only been up to about 50mph so far.
      Is it cable or electric, at the moment I've checked nothing as it's dark when home.

Comment

Does the needle start rising as soon as you start the vehicle moving, or just once you get to about 10 m.p.h?

Comment

About 10mph !

Comment

Originally posted by rodp View Post
            About 10mph !
            There's your problem then?
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Yep, but is it repairable / adjustable. Is the speedo electronic or cable?

Comment

Hey Rod!

Speedo is electronic on all but the early models mate.

It may either be a sensor.. Wouldn't know which one im afraid. Or the needles been piŁŁed around.

Correcting the needle is a simple but fiddley job.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  There's your problem then?

Take the needle off and reposition it. Somebody has probably fitted a new face on it and made a cockup when refitting the needle. Is the pin for the needle to rest on, at 0, there or missing?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post

Take the needle off and reposition it. Somebody has probably fitted a new face on it and made a cockup when refitting the needle. Is the pin for the needle to rest on, at 0, there or missing?

I'll have to check in the daylight, thanks for the help so far folks, I'll be back

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                      Hey Rod!

Speedo is electronic on all but the early models mate.

It may either be a sensor.. Wouldn't know which one im afraid. Or the needles been piŁŁed around.

Correcting the needle is a simple but fiddley job.
                      Switch the ignition on first.

Comment

Looks like the pin is there at 0 mph but never thought to check the needle with ign on. Been busy this w/end but still managed to do the tail gate window, modded the motor drive wheel (slightly differently to the article on here) and while at it cleaned and lubed all the rack with spray ptfe grease and the runners with silicone, it's great now and makes all the difference being able to get in the back at last.

The back window has been covered with silver foil vinyl that's bubbled so that's got to come off, that's gonna be a right pain without scratching the heated window. Also got to look at the arial mast, or the hole in the mounting where it should be to be more precise.

If anyone knows to a good rear bumper at sensible money let me know, this one's rusty and pitted in places.

Thanks for all the help and info so far

Comment

If anyone knows to a good rear bumper at sensible money let me know, this one's rusty and pitted in places.
                          Bump !

Comment

Originally posted by rodp View Post
                            I would suggest asking Stormy, Lord Lucan or the other breakers here.

Trev
                            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

if you don't have any luck at the weekend then i should have one but till i get to collect the truck i'm not sure the condition
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X