prop shaft vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop shaft vibration

i have a 1996 n reg 3.0L TD manual kzn130 and have got a problem with very bad vibration almost as soon as starting off. i think it could be the rear wheel drive prop shaft because there is quite a lot of play on the rear part of it. when i am driving i can put it into nutrel and free wheel and after a few seconds the vibration stops.
    i was wondering if i took the prop shaft off could i still drive in 4x4 using the front wheels only to see if it still vibrates. if i can would it be ok to drive like that until i get the shaft fixed.
    i have been told it could be something called drive train vibration.
    also is it an easy job to do and if not is it an expensive job to get the bairings changed.
    thanks

i had the same problem the way i found it was to grease the uj joints at each end of the rear shaft and it eased the vibration for a while and when i went back under neath the car i found movment at the diff end of the shaft so i replaced the uj joint no worries since . it wont be your front shaft as it dosnt spin untill your in 4WD unless you have a 3rd gen which i think are perm 4WD.just make sure you mark up the mating faces of the propshaft at each end before removal to make sure it goes back on in the same position. hope this helps

Comment

cheers mate.
      i was greasing all the nipples and that is when i found the movement. the front of the shaft is solid but it is the rear joints that have play.
      i had another look today and found that a little piece of the casing that one of the joints fits into has snapped off so i will have to get the cup part replaced.
      it is a second gen and is rear wheel drive so if i remove the rear prop shaft i should still be able to drive it in 4 four wheel drive shouldnt i.
      cheers

Comment

Truth is i dont know i think it will work but i dont know if you will cause any damage best wait for a reply to confirm this, but if the rumble is when driving on the road in 2wd it will be the rear shaft replace the whole UJ might aswell do both ends its done then

Comment

got it sorted the uj joint / cap and holder were goofed got new ones fitted for £97 from north west prop shafts seems to be ok now.
          it ran ok in 4wd with the rear prop shaft removed
          thanks

Comment

Did mine last October - you might find it was the stiff end that was bu99ered. This is the UJ I took out! For future, it's pretty easy to change, and £90 cheaper.

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

done my uj joint myself was a bit of a pain as it was blind leading the blind, but thats how you learn!!.I paid £7 apiece from milners think they are a tenner now.

Comment

Working...
              X