Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt change 3.0 td M reg SSRG.

Hi everyone,

Just took on the job of a timing belt change. There's some great info here on how to complete the job and was very straight forward to follow. Today managed to remove everything ie cover, line up marks, take off tensioner, off with old belt on with new. This is where I begin to *>*" myself. As I put the belt on from the fuel pump sprocket up to the cam sprocket there seems to be some slack in the belt. It seems like it is a tooth out but Im buggered if I can get the next tooth over. Is this normal until the tensioner goes on. Ive then read here turn the cam sprocket two revolutions CLOCKWISE making sure the two timing marks line up. Is this the correct way to turn. Any help before tomorrow midday would be great! Thanks best regards AXE.

Hi, the belt must be tight on the right hand side, just back off (anti clockwise) the camshaft 1/4 of a turn and then line the marks up. (oh and it's not from the fuel pump as it is gear driven internally) I pressume you have compressed the tensioner and put a small allen key or drill bit in it?
    Hope this helps.
    Charlie

Comment

All you do is make sure the Cam and Crank timing marks are correctly aligned, install belt over Cam then Crank and around the Tensioner and release the Tensioner. Turn Crank to check.

Nev

Comment

Hi Nev, its a 3.0 diesel totally different set up from a 2.4 which I think your on about in your reply. Thanks anyway for your input Regards Axe.
        Last edited by axelgs1; 30 January 2009, 11:01.

Comment

Hi Charlie,
          Thanks for your come back. Yes the tensioner is OK, had to use a big vice to compress the pin.
          You say in your reply turn the cam sprocket a quarter of a turn anti clockwise..this seems excessive. I thought the best way would be to turn the cam sprocket clockwise , pick the tooth up and then back it anti clockwise just to line up on the cam TDC mark again. What do you think ?

best regards
          Axe

Comment

Originally posted by axelgs1 View Post
            Hi Nev, its a 3.0 diesel totally different set up from a 2.4 which I think your on about in your reply. Thanks anyway for your input Regards Axe.
            No, otherwise I would have mentioned the injection pump sprocket and the idler which the 3 ltr does not have. Rather than the crank I should have said camshaft drive though, so put the belt over the cam then the camshaft drive then around the tensioner and release the tensioner. It the timing marks are aligned then where is the problem?

Nev

Comment

Thanks Nev....you can see why I was confused mate..cam , crank..etc. There are two sprockets first is the cam sprocket and the next is the fuel pump sprocket..... then a tensioner wheel. I know about the timing marks but its the slack in the belt on the righthand side..it seems excessive..Ive replied to Charlie regarding his reply which does not seem quite right...I may be wrong mate but your input and his gets the old grey matter going and I appreciate your input..Regards Axe.

Comment

Originally posted by axelgs1 View Post
                Ive replied to Charlie regarding his reply which does not seem quite right...I may be wrong mate but your input and his gets the old grey matter going and I appreciate your input..Regards Axe.
                I don't understand why he would want to turn the cam anticlockwise either.

Nev

Comment

Start at EM12 here -

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE/

Nev

Comment

thanks Nev..all is light!!

Comment

I'm not an expert on the 3 Ltr but will try to explain something here. The IP on the 3 Ltr is not driven by the timing belt as on the 2.4 Ltr but rather by gears from the crankshaft. The timing belt on a 3 Ltr does not go around the crankshaft but does on the 2.4. The injection pump gearing on the 3 Ltr, as well as driving the pump, also drives the sprocket for the timing belt which drives the cam.

Nev

Comment

You can see by this pic what I mean. The timing belt must be started at the cam down around the camshaft drive/IP sprocket and then up around the tensioner. All timing marks should be aligned before. Release the tensioner and all should be ok. Recheck timing marks are correct by rotating crankshaft, not any other way.

Nev
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by NiftyNev; 30 January 2009, 15:29.

Comment

Hey!! Charlie and Nev..Bingo!! After consulting the manual link easy!
                          Turned her over sweet as a nut. Many thanks for your help.
                          Best regards

AXE

Comment

Working...
                          X