Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mpg

Hello,

clearly having too much time on my hands, I've been keeping track of the MPG my 4Runner is returning, and it makes for worrying reading. I've only had the truck since 01/01/09 and I've done just over 1000 miles in it, which has taken about 4 tanks of diesel. The MPG I've got back off it has gone like this;

27.34 -> 26.62 -> 26.07 -> 25.11

If it carries on dropping for each successive tank of fuel, I'm going to hit zero MPG some time around the middle of October...who knows what happens if it then starts going negative!

Seriously though, why is my MPG dropping off like this? Is it just because I'm getting more used to the truck and I'm driving it harder, do you reckon?

Of the various remedies I can think of, I was hoping people might give their opinions;

New Air Filter : I'm tempted by a K&N filter which just fits into the standard airbox - the adverts all say you'll never need to buy another filter and you get better BHP - most things claiming better BHP lie in my experience, but are these K&N filters worth the money (50.00ish instead of 20.00ish for a standard filter)

Injector/Fuel System cleaning liquids : I've used these before, but never noticed any appreciable change in performance

Fuel Filter : I'm not sure what sort of filter the hilux has, or where it is, but would a new one help at all? I'm not sure this would actually have any effect on MPG, anyway...

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks,

Paul

defintely get a new fuel filter and fit it. When you replace it fill it with redex to really give the injectors a clean. dump as much as you can in the filter and if theres any left throw it in the tank

Do you have a slow puncture? If your tyres are deflating it will incrementally effect your mpg. You should be looking at around 30/31 psi

You may well be drivign with a heavier foot as you get more used to it too.

Comment

£20 for an air filter is B*ll***S try here...... (not sure if i got the right engine!)

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=619&vid=1379

Alan
      www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Hi mate 25.11 is good in my opinon, most only get about 23 so its about right.

Like you say though cos your getting used to it your right foot may be getting a little heavier now so the MPG is dropping.

As for the K&N filter, ive never used one & a standard filter is only £7, its up to you really.

Your fuel filter is to the right of the air filter box in the corner.

Alot of people get there service parts from roughtrax.
        http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=711
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Thanks for that - shows you what good google shopping is!

I'll check my tyres for the right pressures, but I'm pretty sure they're all OK...

Thanks for the help,

Paul

Comment

Working...
          X