X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical trouble!

Hello guys,

I wonder if someone can help me:

I have a 3rd gen Hilux Surf KZN185 and for some reason the radio, interior lights, foldaway side mirrors, lighter socket and SatNav unit don't seem to be getting power. Can anyone tell me whether there is a 3rd fuse box tucked away somewhere? Or am I going to have to rip out the dash to find the problem?! I have the winter pack with the extra batteries and rear heater - could it be a circuit related to this? (Excuse my ignorance - I'm learning as I go!)

Thanks in advance,

One fuse box under bonnet & one under steering wheel to the right.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

10 amp fuse has gone in the drivers footwell
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Still no joy!

Thanks for the advice guys, but it doesn't seem to be as simple as that! I've checked the driver's footwell fuses and they are all ok.
        I forgot to mention earlier that when I lock the car using the key-fob, the alarm starts beeping - which is not normal! I have to lock the car using the key to stop the alarm making the noise.
        I've checked all of the fuses I know about (under bonnet and drivers footwell), but none of them seem to correspond to the interior circuits that aren't working. Is there a further third fusebox somewhere?
        I know it's difficult to diagnose from afar, but any helpful suggestions would be welcome!
        I have stripped the centre console out but I couldn't see anything obvious , not that I really know what I'm looking for!
        One more thing (!) - the 'O/D off' light keeps flashing. It is not affecting the operation of the overdrive, as it still works as it should when the button is pressed (i.e. light stays on and vehicle does not engage overdrive when button pressed). This all started happening at the same time, which is why I thought there may be a master fuse for the circuit that all these things operate on....
        Sorry for the confusion, but I'm desperate to fix this annoying glitch on an otherwise superb car!
        ...just did some digging on the internet and found a wiring diagram. It seems that maybe the components that are not working all use a common earth point? Apparently this can be found at the left hand kick panel. Again, sorry if this is a stupid question, but where the flip is that???
        Last edited by MartPigFace; 26 January 2009, 01:06.

Comment

That would be the panel in the passenger front footwell, just in front of the door hinge.
          Mike G

Comment

You say your alarm is playing up ? and the curcuit you refer to has the interior light connected to it ? On my celica when you disable the alarm the interior lights are activated could it be your alarm having a disablement feature that has gone kaput ? thats why it beeps telling you that there is a fault with the alarm and you have to use the key to shut it up......
            Remember arrows are silent.....................
            Don't forget to tell everyone its indestructable as seen on top gear.......

Comment

Getting frustrated now....!

Thanks for the tips guys.
              I'm wondering if it is the relay in the driver's side fuse box. Apparently door switches failing by contacting the bodywork can cause problems like this, and the light on the dash no longer lights when a door is left open (although the annoying 'bong bong bong' noise still kicks in!). I wondering if this is all on the same circuit and by replacing it the problem will be fixed. Can anyone tell me if they think I am on the right lines?

Cheers,

Mart

P.s. The horn's not working either!!!!
              Last edited by MartPigFace; 26 January 2009, 21:36.

Comment

Solved

Not sure anyone is interested anymore, but I found the problem!

The GPS unit was faulty and causing a short, thus taking out the entire ACC circuit. Once isolated, problem solved!

Comment

Nice one Mate ... Well done, so Patience pays ....

There's always a Payback .... It'll always take longer than five minutes !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                  X