Hesitating power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitating power

1994, 30l, 121,000 km. my surf has just developed a problem and i'd like to pick your brains.
    In drive when i set off, there seems to be a hesitation in setting off, when i,m moving e.g. 20/30mph it seems to be as if it's trying to hold back on power or drive and if i'm sat at the lights in drive with the foot brake on for a while, when i go to set off it seem as if its in park (won't role forward) until i rev it more and only then it sets off.

check the ATF to see if its a nice red colour.That is probably the cause but i may be wrong but at least my post count goes up another one
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Checked the level (ok) and it looked a browny red colour, Thanks............

Comment

Originally posted by mark 1 View Post
        Checked the level (ok) and it looked a browny red colour, Thanks............
        Brown is normally worn fluid. Might be worth changing it anyway before you cause damage to the gearbox.

I left changing mine a bit late an ive probably shortened the life of the gearbox a fair bit!

Comment

Is it a big job to change the trany oil.
          Last edited by mark 1; 23 December 2008, 19:42.

Comment

Originally posted by mark 1 View Post
            Is it a big job to change, if it is the trany oil.
            Not really mate.

Not much different to changing engine oil. As long as you have a big enough container to catch all the fluid out the bottom.

Its just a case of pulling the sump plug on the gearbox.. drain the fluid out an then top back up. Theres a thing with changing gears etc afterwards but i'll let someone else give more details.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
              Not really mate.

Not much different to changing engine oil. As long as you have a big enough container to catch all the fluid out the bottom.

Its just a case of pulling the sump plug on the gearbox.. drain the fluid out an then top back up. Theres a thing with changing gears etc afterwards but i'll let someone else give more details.
              not quite right rodders,if you undo the sump bung in the gear box you will only remove about a third of the oil.you need to remove the oil from the cooler and torque converter too.its relatively simple but involves removing the pipes from the rad cooler and pumping the fluid through.
              Last edited by surfenstein; 23 December 2008, 20:27.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Cheers for that Surfenstein, how do you pump the fluid through or out ?

Comment

Follow this guide......

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...ransflush.html

Yes, yes I know it's for a Lexus, but it's the same M.O. just remember where it says drivers side, you do the opposite, and use Dexron II/III fluid.you can thank bushwacker for the info..

Comment

Thanks to both of you then...............but URL is temp unavailable or doesn,t exist anymore, i,ll try again....
                    Last edited by mark 1; 28 December 2008, 17:32.

Comment

Try this one
                      http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...ransflush.html

Ignore steps 1 & 2, and use normal Dexron fluid, not the fluid shown in the link, thats 10 quid per litre!

Comment

Thanks Bushwhacker, thats great......................

Comment

Working...
                        X