More 4wd/transfer box woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More 4wd/transfer box woes

My 4wd had been getting worse on engaement ie. It used to take a few goes and moving back and forwards in drive to get It to work. Then It packed up altogether,to Cut a long story short(after replacing 4wd ecu and transfer motor and checking all sensors etc etc) It seems that the selector shaft on the transfer box is sticking. Iv'e read most of the threads on this forum and the ozzie site and Thought no probs I'l free It off. Trouble is after about 2 sessions of an hour of shoving the thing in and out It still wont engage the front prop when the motor engages! It seems to need a sharp tap to get It to press fully home and I dont think the slow movement of the motors torque is enough to push It past this last hurdle. When i do tap it home the front prop wont turn ie It's locked to the front diff, so It works manually.I have reconditioned the transfer motor and It works ok. Is there a known problem with the selector shaft that can be fixed without resorting to a replacement transfer box? Cos I'm stumped now!

If I have to go down the route of a second hand transfer box, what sort of a job is It? Can it be done without removing the auto transmision etc etc?
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Over 60 views and no one got any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by europa88 View Post
      My 4wd had been getting worse on engaement ie. It used to take a few goes and moving back and forwards in drive to get It to work. Then It packed up altogether,to Cut a long story short(after replacing 4wd ecu and transfer motor and checking all sensors etc etc) It seems that the selector shaft on the transfer box is sticking. Iv'e read most of the threads on this forum and the ozzie site and Thought no probs I'l free It off. Trouble is after about 2 sessions of an hour of shoving the thing in and out It still wont engage the front prop when the motor engages! It seems to need a sharp tap to get It to press fully home and I dont think the slow movement of the motors torque is enough to push It past this last hurdle. When i do tap it home the front prop wont turn ie It's locked to the front diff, so It works manually.I have reconditioned the transfer motor and It works ok. Is there a known problem with the selector shaft that can be fixed without resorting to a replacement transfer box? Cos I'm stumped now!

If I have to go down the route of a second hand transfer box, what sort of a job is It? Can it be done without removing the auto transmision etc etc?
      are you sure the motor is working strong enough?
      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

I think so, came off a breaker that worked Ok and i stripped and cleaned It!

Maybe the rod is sticking inside the transfer case as it moves the selector forks?? Guessing here!

just wondered if the back end of the transfer box can be undone to get at It easily. looking at it I dont think so.

i'm gonna have another look at the exploded view i got somewhere...If I can find It.

thanks for the reply LL

Comment

i have got a good gearbox and trans box here i took off a 95 m reg ssrg.It is working perfect well it was till i decided to break the truck but it was completely smooth.I was going to keep as a spare for my own truck but if you want it make me a offer for it and we'll try to come up with a way to get it up to you.
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hiya Richard

Thanks for the offer mate. I'm gonna have another play with the transfer motor and selector first over the weekend. If theres no luck on that I'll bell you next week some time, If you get the chance to flog it in the meantime fair enough. Funds gettin a bit low after xmas!!

Comment

thats ok as i say i was only going to keep hold of it anyway as a spare for myself but if you do need it then its yours and i'm sure we can come up with a price to suit us both
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yeah, thanx mate!

Comment

It's Sorted!

I just need a pointer on ressembling the motor and gears. just in case any one else has this problem a tip I found on the Ozzy forum worked wonders. When you reassemble the transfer motor, operate It a couple of times without the large gear that meshes with the selector shaft. This allows the mechanism to find It's correct operating length for the shaft. pop back in the cog and yes Bob's yer aunties best friend.

Thanks Richard (stormforce)for your help with the new motor and offer of the tranny but I guess dont need It now.

I now have 4WD after 2 months without!

Comment

Err, Typo alert

Should read.........just needed a pointer etc etc.

BTW any one needs a 4wd ecu, i got one spare!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X