Difficulty turning over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty turning over

Get an intermittent problemn with my Surf where when i turn the ignition key all i hear is a click from the solenoid yet if fails to turn the starter motor. Repeatedly turning the ignition on and off eventually gets it to turn although this can take anything from a couple of goes to upto 5 minutes! Seems to be worse in the wet/cold or if i have not driven it for a while.

Any ideas?

i had exactly the same and i swapped the starter motor at the weekend and all is fine again now.You can get a refurb kit from roughtrax or look for a 2nd hand starter motor
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

as rich said get a kit from roughtrax ,
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Cheers chaps - will get hold of one ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by wickedandlazee View Post
          Cheers chaps - will get hold of one ASAP
          After you check all the battery terminals, chassis and engine earths and the main starter cable for tightness and cleanliness of course?

All that clicking you're doing will be causing heat to be generated somewhere. If that somewhere is where you have a loose or dirty connection, it MAY warm up and expand a little up to a point where whatever it is that's loose will pass enough current to start the engine cranking.

Worth a try before you spend any dosh?

That said, I may be gibbering my usual holier than thou sh1te; you just never know with me...
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            After you check all the battery terminals, chassis and engine earths and the main starter cable for tightness and cleanliness of course?

All that clicking you're doing will be causing heat to be generated somewhere. If that somewhere is where you have a loose or dirty connection, it MAY warm up and expand a little up to a point where whatever it is that's loose will pass enough current to start the engine cranking.

Worth a try before you spend any dosh?

That said, I may be gibbering my usual holier than thou sh1te; you just never know with me...

Yeah you're talkin' crap again, it'll be the rad cap thats the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Yeah you're talkin' crap again, it'll be the rad cap thats the problem.
              Damn, didn't think about that. I did wonder if he'd pressed the red button at some point though. We all know what can happen if it's pressed at the wrong time!

Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
              X