Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0 manual questions (diff too)

Hi guys.

I have found a 3.0 manual for sale near me. Just had a few quieries about what to look out for.

Have spoken to the chap and he said it has had a new diff fitted. To me this sounds a good thing. He mentioned this being a common problem but I havent heard of it before.

Does this sound right. If so what is the cause?

Other than that it sounds awesome and am going to see it in a few days to give it a drive to see whats what.

If you guys could shed any light on the above question and any advice at things to look out for on a manual if any, that would be great.

Used to own a 2.4 auto a few years back and have missed it ever since so at last I can afford to get another.

Thanks

Dan

was it a rear or front diff that was replaced?
    The front ones normally go if offroaded hard but i've not heard of a rear diff actually breaking and need replacing
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

didnt think about asking that.

I would hazard a guess at being the front if they seem quite common on going if off roaded.

The only solutions I could think of may be that it someone had tried to drive it in 4wd on the roads, towing to heavy loads or as some just said to me to aggressive with it and wheel spinnng away from junctions to often.

As its been replaced I cant say im too worried, just wondered why it may have happened.

Just hope it doesnt get sold before I have chance to see it.

Comment

Well went and checked out the surf today. Even better condition than expected. Guy has thrown in a load of extras, plus a set of es9000 shocks. only the +2 ones though. Not sure if these will be long enough.

Just got to sought the tax out and pick it up next weekend. Cant wait.

Here is a pic of it.

Comment

looks a nice truck.
          If i remember rightly i had that on watch on ebay a couple of weeks ago or so.
          I don't know if your getting it through ebay or not but it ended on a low price
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Just sorted insurance so just got to get tax.

Did I read right that there is a membership for this forum. If so I didnt realise.
            Last edited by djp_y2k; 25 March 2009, 10:19.

Comment

Originally posted by djp_y2k View Post
              Did I read right that there is a membership for this forum. If so I didnt realise.
              It's voluntary. There's a sticky in the general section regarding it.

Comment

Good luck with the new car. I have a 3.0 auto and I'm dealing with the collapsed front diff at the moment. I reckon it happened on a steep descent, stripped 6 teeth off the diff crown wheel and knocked the edges off all the teeth on the worm gear.
                Thinking of using the diffs from a 2.4 to rebuild but as the 2.4 has a different ratio, will need to change front and back.
                Still scrap yard diffs for both axles should be cheaper than the £1100 for one new front diff!
                QC

Comment

Working...
                X