Loosing coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loosing coolant

Seems to be one thing after another just lately. Had a look round the forum on coolant probs but cant find anything with the symptoms i have.

Anyway, noticed the level of coolant had dropped down just above the plates in the rad a couple of days ago, and the level was 2 thirds full in the bottle.
    So i drained the bottle down to the full mark and topped up the rad. It is strange tho cos the level in the rad has never moved from the top.
    Checked it to day and it had dropped again but not as far yet.
    Temp is at the usual point no matter what speed i do and the blower is hot. O, and no leaks.
    The engine is running as sweet as it ever has. All though i did notice a lack of power on top end the other week. I have never thrashed the truck but i'm sure it used to do more than 80mph and my mate gets 100 easy.At first i put it down to the mods and extra weight i have on, but now, with whats going on i'm beginning to wounder.
    Questions:
    Could it be the rad cap thats shot it??
    Or, is it the start of something that i dont want to mention
    Thing is, March and the MacMillan isnt that far away and its got to be right for that. So some feed back please guy's

If the expansion tank is filling and not returning coolant when it cools down then the radiator cap could be sucking air back in instead of coolant. Check hose to expansion tank as well to make sure it's not leaking and is sitting correctly in the expansion tank. If it's above the proper level coolant will flow to it but not back to the radiator.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
      If the expansion tank is filling and not returning coolant when it cools down then the radiator cap could be sucking air back in instead of coolant. Check hose to expansion tank as well to make sure it's not leaking and is sitting correctly in the expansion tank. If it's above the proper level coolant will flow to it but not back to the radiator.

Nev

Thanks Nev, i'll make a call and get a new one. The pipes are ok. Thanks for your prompted reply, i'll let you know the outcome

Comment

Ok chaps.
        fitted a new rad cap Saturday and i am still loosing coolant. Since Saturday till now it has gone down half way to the rad plates.
        Not only that, when starting up from cold the engine splutters in a way i can only describe as when ya run on veg oil and first start up.
        Now should i start getting worried??

Comment

Have you checked the top of the radiator for any pin hole leaks?

Comment

Hi Sancho, the rad is new of 2 years. No leaks anywhere. I'm beginning to get that gut feeling.
            The truck has also hit that 80,000 mark were it seems things start to go belly up.
            Either way, been looking at heads and...what a price
            If it is that, i have no choice, i have to repair it.
            Anyway i suppose a gas test is next.

Comment

Originally posted by magnum force View Post
              Anyway i suppose a gas test is next.
              I'm afraid so.

Comment

Same problem with me, have you done the gas test?

Comment

Same here my surf seems to put coolant in the expansion tank and never suck it back (doesent loose it) so every week or so i syphon the expansion tank out and put it back in the rad. I have changed the stat and the cap replaced top and bottom rad hoses got rid of then stupid spring clips and replaced with jubilee Stainless steel ones my rear heater always blows hot air done sniffer test, pressurized the water system (no pressure lost over 2 hours) even ran leak finder ( a luminous liquid in the cooling system) next idea was to convert to a pressurized expansion bottle like most cars have. i think a company called allard engineering did a conversion where they completley got rid of the rad cap and expansion bottle

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by christopoher murphy View Post
                    Same here my surf seems to put coolant in the expansion tank and never suck it back (doesent loose it) so every week or so i syphon the expansion tank out and put it back in the rad. I have changed the stat and the cap replaced top and bottom rad hoses got rid of then stupid spring clips and replaced with jubilee Stainless steel ones my rear heater always blows hot air done sniffer test, pressurized the water system (no pressure lost over 2 hours) even ran leak finder ( a luminous liquid in the cooling system) next idea was to convert to a pressurized expansion bottle like most cars have. i think a company called allard engineering did a conversion where they completley got rid of the rad cap and expansion bottle

Chris
                    See if any of this is any help:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=51375

Comment

Working...
                    X