No announcement yet.

New Batteries - I think ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many years ago, I had a car which did a very similar thing: first start of the day, whatever the season, was painfully slow.

All subsequent starts were fine. I traced it to a loose earth strap to the engine.

I'm not saying this will be your problem, but probably worth checking the tightness/integrity of any earth straps you have.
    1996 3.0 diesel SSR-G Auto

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
      at 13.5v alternator isnt wonderfull,but its charging ok,to get it charging more it would be worth cleaning the electricasl connections on it and following the earth and clean it up where it bolts to metal,but yes you need batteries by the looks of it,it wont always be a drain it is usually just the batteries not holding a charge,ps most get their batteries from toyota,they seem cheapest
      Tested the batteries this morning from cold and they are now reading 12.36, was 13.6 yesterday when the engine had been running for a while. So i assume this means I have a battery that isn't holding charge?

Anyone know a place to get some good replacement batteries in Norfolk?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by carcuscrae View Post
        Tested the batteries this morning from cold and they are now reading 12.36, was 13.6 yesterday when the engine had been running for a while. So i assume this means I have a battery that isn't holding charge?

Anyone know a place to get some good replacement batteries in Norfolk?

Thanks
        yep thats about it,first try local motor factors,not sure wot u have up there tho,we have CPA etc,then before u buy,try toyota dealers,most people say they are cheapest,i think they are about £60 per battery,without getting to technical,make sure the amp ratings are same as u have or higher,all the numbers will be written on the battery

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
          Sounds like thats what i need to do next then Andy, got 12.6 standing and 13.7 on tickover!

Are any of the cheap jumpstart packs any good or do i need to spend millions of pounds on one. ( the van plays up on cold mornings too, so i need the backup)
          Cheers
          Alan.
          check all the connections first mate,especially earth strap,as for jump packs u kinda get wot u pay for,but the other side to that is even with an expensive one if u dont use it often the cells in the pack die anyway,if u want to get one,try and find a cheap one that comes with a years warrenty,then if it does go wrong just take it back,otherwise your lookin at around 250 for a good one

Comment

Are any of the batteries listed here any good?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...kw=069+battery

Thanks

Comment

Don't forget to check the threads n posts at the bottom of the page ...

There's always a Payback .... Ya won't ever see it comin tho !!!!
              Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 31 October 2008, 00:50.
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                check all the connections first mate,especially earth strap,as for jump packs u kinda get wot u pay for,but the other side to that is even with an expensive one if u dont use it often the cells in the pack die anyway,if u want to get one,try and find a cheap one that comes with a years warrenty,then if it does go wrong just take it back,otherwise your lookin at around 250 for a good one
                Thanks Andy! Think i'll get one of these tomorow.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165719
                www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
                  Thanks Andy! Think i'll get one of these tomorow.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165719
                  doesnt seem bad,keep yr receipt tho

Comment

Will do mate.
                    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Are any of the batteries listed here any good?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...kw=069+battery

Thanks
                      Anyone?

Comment

Anyone?
                        AFAIK this is what you want; a 68 and a 69

click

But with these figures in mind I rang my motor factors shop and beat them down from £164 to £135 on an 088 and 089 which are more powerful.

Pick up tomorrow and hopefully get my Surf back on the road after sorning it in April.
                        Wax on, wax off

Comment

Working...
                        X