yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

United Nations KZN185 vehicles ... what are they really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Nations KZN185 vehicles ... what are they really?

I have an ex-UN 4 runner model 99/2000. It looks like a 4 runner and not like a hilux surf ! and yet its chassis number starts with KZN185. Its a 3 L turbo D. All the KZN185's I have found on the www look like surf's and not like 4 Runners. Can anyone explain ....................... ?.

Originally posted by Woodpecker
    I have an ex-UN 4 runner model 99/2000. It looks like a 4 runner and not like a hilux surf ! and yet its chassis number starts with KZN185. Its a 3 L turbo D. All the KZN185's I have found on the www look like surf's and not like 4 Runners. Can anyone explain ....................... ?.
    KZN185 is the type number for a 3L 3rd Gen Surf or 4Runner. It means as follows

KZN (3.0TD 1KZTE engine)
    185 (3rd Gen model type).

Cheers

Comment

Andy,
      That helps a lot. So body style can be different then.
      I want to register this in the UK some time in the next year. Any idea how I can check how it meets [or does not meet] UK reg's so that I can cost out any modifications I may need [apart from the usual of speedo and lights]?
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Woodpecker
        Andy,
        That helps a lot. So body style can be different then.
        I want to register this in the UK some time in the next year. Any idea how I can check how it meets [or does not meet] UK reg's so that I can cost out any modifications I may need [apart from the usual of speedo and lights]?
        Rob
        You will need to have the vehicle put through an SVA test. Do a search on here for SVA and you will find a few links.

Main modifications would generally be rear fog, lights dipping to the left or straight down, Speedo showing MPH.

Other things that could be asked for:

removal of anything sharp on the outside like window visors.
        Removal of any rear hung spare.

Plus probably a few other things. Best to get a professional SVA company to get it put through. Only other thing I can think of is that if the car is a UN spec vehicle, they are built specifically for the job and may not pass certain other type approval areas. I read recently that Toyota manufacture (I think it is in Spain) all of the special use vehicles - you can even buy old style Landcruisers new there. They are not built for normal road use and sometimes would not pass the more stringent European type approval regs.

A Japanese build 4Runner would not have these problems and many are imported into the UK. Best thing is to find an SVA company and get some advice. You may also need to get the build sheet spec for the UN vehicles and a type approval certificate if it is available.

In the end though with various modifications most road worthy vehicles can be made to go through the SVA as that is specifically what it is for - Single Vehicle Approval. Recently they had a Scrapheap challenge where they built one off specials and put them through the SVA so anything is possible.

For the body Style there are 4 distinct generations of 4Runner.

1st Gen - 1984 - 1989
        2nd Gen - 1989 - 1995
        3rd Gen - 1996 - 2001 (I think)
        4th Gen - 2001 onwards

I think that list is right but I might be a little out.

1st Gen was pretty much a Pickup with a rear cover on it, 2nd Gen was the first full station waggon, 3rd gen got a bit smoother looking and more civilised, 4th gen even more so.

Cheers
        Last edited by lucky; 21 April 2004, 10:56.

Comment

Rob.

You might want to talk to these guys as they are the official supplier of UN spec vehicles from Toyota.

http://www.toyota-gib.com/

Also have a look here for details of SVA

http://www.dft.gov.uk/intradoc-cgi/n...s+and+Vehicles

Cheers

Comment

KZN185 is the chassis type... shared with the land cruiser (colorado/prado)
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
            X