Turbo light on or off ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo light on or off ?

I would like to know if the turbo light is supposed to come on above about 2500 rpm on the 3.0td (1KZTE; UK model). Apparently, on 2.4s and 2.8 it does; is it supposed to come on for all 4runners/surfs ? I thought that this light meant 'stop immediately, your turbo is knackered and will shortly disintegrate'...

Originally posted by turbotommy
    I would like to know if the turbo light is supposed to come on above about 2500 rpm on the 3.0td (1KZTE; UK model). Apparently, on 2.4s and 2.8 it does; is it supposed to come on for all 4runners/surfs ? I thought that this light meant 'stop immediately, your turbo is knackered and will shortly disintegrate'...
    3 litres don't have a turbo light although I think they have an engine check light.

Neville

Comment

OK, i may have got it wrong, but the light is in the rev counter, and looks like a turbo logo (star shaped thingy within a manifold with what looks like an inlet and outlet). There's an 'engine shaped' light with all of the other warning lights that looks more like a 'check engine' light.

Comment

Well I'm confused now.I'll leave it up to the 3 litre owners.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
          Well I'm confused now.I'll leave it up to the 3 litre owners.

Neville

me to, I didn't think (infact I was sure from other posts on this topic) they had a turbo light either.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

In my experiance 3.0lt TD Surfs and 4Runners have the engine check/turbo overboost light on the right hand side of the rev counter face.

V6 and 3rd gens have a engine check light in with the other warning lights. Sounds like your speedo face has been printed with the wrong symbol on the rev counter.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Definitive answer

OK, i have a 'definitive' answer, and i'm ashamed to say that i had it all along...

Yes, i have the original handbook, but never look at it as they never seem to have anything of use in them (gosh, that's how to work the lights and windscreen wipers, and that's what the gearstick is for...).

It states clearly that the light on the right hand side of the rev counter is a turbo warning light. Also, it says that if it comes on, it indicates overboost, so drive a bit more slowly...Preferably to a toyota dealer to be relieved of excess cash (OK, i made up the last bit).

This info is for a UK 3.0td 1KZTE '96 4runner. I don't know if it applies to 2.4s or others, but would hazard a guess that it might. Do you think that toyota would use a light as a warning in one country and as 'whoopee, rev it harder light' in another? I doubt it, but may be wrong.

The posts in the 2.4/2.8 section mentioned that they did go faster when the light was on; well it would, but you may be overboosting the engine and shortening its lifespan.

OK, i promise to read the handbook next time, D'oh....

Comment

The posts in the 2.4/2.8 section mentioned that they did go faster when the light was on; well it would, but you may be overboosting the engine and shortening its lifespan.

Well with the 2.4 you havent got a lot of choice as it tells you that the turbo has kicked in.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

OK, i have a 'definitive' answer, and i'm ashamed to say that i had it all along...

Yes, i have the original handbook, but never look at it as they never seem to have anything of use in them (gosh, that's how to work the lights and windscreen wipers, and that's what the gearstick is for...).

It states clearly that the light on the right hand side of the rev counter is a turbo warning light. Also, it says that if it comes on, it indicates overboost, so drive a bit more slowly...Preferably to a toyota dealer to be relieved of excess cash (OK, i made up the last bit).

This info is for a UK 3.0td 1KZTE '96 4runner. I don't know if it applies to 2.4s or others, but would hazard a guess that it might. Do you think that toyota would use a light as a warning in one country and as 'whoopee, rev it harder light' in another? I doubt it, but may be wrong.

OK, i promise to read the handbook next time, D'oh....
                  On the 2.4s the Engine check light acts as an overboost light coming on at something like 11psi. The Turbo light on the 2.4s is just to tell you that the Turbo is functioning and has hit over 1psi boost (I think it comes on at 1psi).

On the 3.0 Surf, there was no Turbo light and the engine check lamp came on as a turbo overboost light as well as for all other engine tech problems. I presume it was a special put on for UK spec 4 runners because of regional expectations.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by marky

Well with the 2.4 you havent got a lot of choice as it tells you that the turbo has kicked in.
                    Are you sure about that ? It would seem odd that toyota didn't keep this feature on later (?) versions.

This is my first turbo vehicle, and i've had to replace it, and did quite a bit of reading about turbos. Mainly from turbotechnics, one of the few places in the UK that does turbos. According to these people, diesel turbos work all the time, but obviously boost more the harder you rev it.

If the light on 2.4s is there to say 'whopee, you've got boost' is there another warning one that says 'caution, overboost' ?

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                      On the 2.4s the Engine check light acts as an overboost light coming on at something like 11psi. The Turbo light on the 2.4s is just to tell you that the Turbo is functioning and has hit over 1psi boost (I think it comes on at 1psi).

On the 3.0 Surf, there was no Turbo light and the engine check lamp came on as a turbo overboost light as well as for all other engine tech problems. I presume it was a special put on for UK spec 4 runners because of regional expectations.

Cheers
                      Aha, it's all clear now.

Given your great wisdom, i have another question.

Now, can you tell me which vaccum hose the grease monkeys have mis-connected that is giving me some blue smoke...? I think it could be EGR related, but am unsure.

PS, have you ever heard of 'click and clack talk cars' on NPR in the USA? these guys can genuinely diagnose faults on the phone. They've been going for years, and are unbelievably good.

Comment

Aha, it's all clear now.

Given your great wisdom, i have another question.

Now, can you tell me which vaccum hose the grease monkeys have mis-connected that is giving me some blue smoke...? I think it could be EGR related, but am unsure.

PS, have you ever heard of 'click and clack talk cars' on NPR in the USA? these guys can genuinely diagnose faults on the phone. They've been going for years, and are unbelievably good.
                        Blue smoke is generally Oil burning so I don't think it is a pipe wrong. You might want to take off the turbo to inlet and Airbox to turbo pipes and have a look inside for lots of oil. Also the rocker cover breather hose may be full of oil.

Alternatively check the oil level, if it has been overfilled then you will get considerable blow back of oil through the crankcase breather which will cause the blue smoke.

If it was vacuum hose fitted incorrectly expect lumpy running and black smoke.

Never Heard of Click and Clack. Sounds an interesting concept though.

Cheers

Comment

I know that it has too much oil in it (quality work by 'my', now former, garage), but i've not had time to drain some. A poor excuse. It used to use quite a bit, and now (due to new turbo, probably) doesn't use as much; thus the level isn't going down to what it should be. I should stop whingeing and get under it....

I'll try to look in the pipes while i'm at it.

The click and clack website is;

http://www.cartalk.com/Radio/Show/online.html

Download a show or two; it takes a while to get into it. If you've ever fixed cars you will be amazed at how good these guys are at diagnosis. I learnt a lot, though (alas) there's nothing about diesel, as cars are all petrol in the US.

Comment

i'd drain the overfill, too much oil allows the crank to dip into the oil as it spins and aeriates the oil causing air bubbles, which you do not want going through the turbo bearing.
                            [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

hi turbotommy
                              what was the out come of the turbo light .mine has been coming on and off for the past twelve months no difference in performance tho ,how much did it cost to repair
                              john

Comment

Working...
                              X