Rattle and Roll ... I mean Smoke !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle and Roll ... I mean Smoke !

On the way to work (late and rushing), doing about 85, I heard a rattle from my engine bay area. As soon as I heard it, i came off the throttle and looked in my mirror and saw a big, thick cloud of bluey smoke. The rattle lasted only a second or so, as soon as I came off the power it stopped. I carried onto work very cautiously and it all seems fine, oil pressure is raised slightly, but no more smoke and no more rattles. I tried going back on boost and tested taking the revs up to 3000 in 3rd and it seemed fine.

What the hell was that, and should I expect something bad has happened and get it looked at, or wait to see how it is ? Any ideas ?

Any ideas peeps, I have the drive home in a few hours :-(

Comment

Have you checked the oil & water to make sure nothing has been drunk!

Blue smoke would normally signify burning oil.
      The rattle could be as a result of it being burnt.

Check the oil & water, if the turbo seals have gone it will suck the oil out an burn it, but you would normally expect it to continue, not just stop
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

I will check before i set off. I had a look underneath for any drippage but it was dry. I will check the water and oil before setting off from work and ocne I get home. I'll also keep a close eye on oil pressure and water temp on the way home. I have had turbos go on me before (albeit on petrol cars) and like you say, the smoke is consistent whilst on boost.

Let you know how the drive home goes.

Comment

Ran fine on the way home and back into work this morning, mixture of gentle and a bit of hard driving. I dont I'll know what happened until something worse goes wrong. However a bloke at work has a 306 and it does the same thing, odd.

Comment

Working...
          X