Turbo timers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo timers.

I've been offered a turbo timer for my 3 gen. Question is, is there any benefits to fitting one and what does it do?

Originally posted by TAZMAN
    I've been offered a turbo timer for my 3 gen. Question is, is there any benefits to fitting one and what does it do?
    They allow the engine to continue to idle for a (usually adjustable time) while after you remove the key and lock up.
    This allows the turbo to coll down properly, more usefull if stopping immediatly after hard driving. Not exactly vital for a surf as the turbo is water cooled.
    Don't have one myself, and would not go and buy one, but if your being offered it for choice... go for it.
    Several owners here have them, and I'm sure find them handy enough.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
      it keeps the engine running after you take the keys out for a set time so that the turbo cools to the idle temp and keeps circulating oil in the turbo to protect the bearings.... it's mainly for high performance cars where the turbo gets so hot it actually glows red
      the best bet is to save your money and be sensible... after a blat down the motorway just let it tick over for a minute especially under high load situations like towing or long hills.
      i have one but only use it to keep the engine running while i nip to a cash point!

Edit... just add that it won't allow you to set the alarm as the ignition is turned on, but the doors will lock with the key... only trouble i have is that when the time's up and the ignition turns off, the doors all unlock as my alarm has an "anti hijack" door locking system which locks and unlocks when starting and turning off.
      Last edited by dabigman; 13 April 2004, 20:40.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanks guys. I dont think I'll bother then, Generally I let the engine idle for a bit anyway as I would my lorry when stopping, habit really.

Comment

another point is when the turbo timer is on, the lights on alarm doesnt sound resulting in the neighbours knocking the door to point out your stupidity and also in this country it is an offence to leave (get out of) a vehicle with the engine running. I still use mine though as i am a bit of an anarchist.
          [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by stara
            another point is when the turbo timer is on, the lights on alarm doesnt sound resulting in the neighbours knocking the door to point out your stupidity and also in this country it is an offence to leave (get out of) a vehicle with the engine running. I still use mine though as i am a bit of an anarchist.
            Also in the UK it is actually illegal to leave an unattended vehicle running so you could actually get done for it - I know it's a bit picky but it could cause you problems.

Cheers

Comment

i leave a big dog to look after it...

or a small child (less attractive to thieves)
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
              X