3rd gen handbrake adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen handbrake adjustment

been told at last years mot hand brake travel had stretched and would need adjusting this year. a search says that this adjustment is automatic as i rarely use the hb is this why it is like this. any ideas do i need to take drums off to check adjustor is not seized up

Not sure if the third generation adjustment is via handbrake but just pull on the handbrake about 8 to 10 times and see what happens. If it works then the hand brake will come out less with each pull.

Nev

Comment

solution found removing the handbrake surround reveals two adjusting screwsfor the cable problem solved

Comment

geez nev just seen where you have replied from amazing this internet

Comment

Originally posted by nigelsheridan View Post
          solution found removing the handbrake surround reveals two adjusting screwsfor the cable problem solved
          No really, when you next do the shoes Im willing to bet youll find the cable too ight. You should have taken the drums off, freed up the self ajusters if seized, after having tried handbrake on off a bunch of times to get it self adjusted

Bogus
          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
            No really, when you next do the shoes Im willing to bet youll find the cable too ight. You should have taken the drums off, freed up the self ajusters if seized, after having tried handbrake on off a bunch of times to get it self adjusted

Bogus
            I agree . The handbrake should be adjusted after the rear brake shoes . If the handbrake is adjusted it can throw the rear shoes off centre from the back plate . This means the trailing shoe will wear out as the handbrake lever will have taken up the slack on that shoe .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by nigelsheridan View Post
              ..... as i rarely use the hb is this why it is like this.....
              This is mostly the problem, the adjuster works on the handbrake lever, if you rarely use the handbrake, the rear shoes never get adjusted as the pads wear. Leading to lots of travel on the foot pedal and handbrake lever when you actually use it.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks fellas will do as you say at the weekend. as i said i never use hand brake only the parking brake but its good to be able to make it right. thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X