Timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt

I'm just about to do the timing belt on my 3.0td 2nd gen, The garage said he'd do it for £40 which is a bargain-I've used him loads on my old car&he's really good.
    He suggested While I was doing it I should change the tensioners and mentioned some sort of bolt that I should change(sorry forgotten name of it).
    Is all this neccesary?
    Regards
    Sam

Originally posted by sammy
    I'm just about to do the timing belt on my 3.0td 2nd gen, The garage said he'd do it for £40 which is a bargain-I've used him loads on my old car&he's really good.
    He suggested While I was doing it I should change the tensioners and mentioned some sort of bolt that I should change(sorry forgotten name of it).
    Is all this neccesary?
    Regards
    Sam
    I wouldn't have thought that the tensioner would need changing on the 3.0 as it is not a spring like the 2.4 but hydraulic. I think £40 is a good price, takes less than an hour to do on a 3.0.

Not sure what bolt he is talking about unless it is the one that holds on the tensioner.

Cheers

Comment

Is all this neccesary?
      Regards
      Sam
      If you get your man to start the engine with the timing belt cover off, and the new belt on he'll be able to see if the tensioner is working. If it isn't, change it though it does mean taking the belt off again. I have a 3.0td, and the tensioner had gone, though it took some time to work it out, since the fault seemed to be 'intermittent' ie after resetting the tensioner it worked for a while and then gave up the ghost, so it had to be taken apart again and a new tensioner fitted.

Where's your garage ? I'm in edinburgh and haven't found a good one yet...

Comment

ST Motors In Abbeyhill, The guts as scruffy as they come and closes at 2.30pm every day but always gets job done and is really cheap. Took Cylinder head off my scimitar, Fitted new Gaskets, re-fitted, found out problem with inlet valve seals, took off cylinder head again, pressure tested, fitted new seals, all new gaskets again and tuned up-£170 including all Gaskets. Took him about a week though. Let me know if you need his number.

Where abouts in Edinburgh are you+What do you drive? I'm on the Grassmarket.

Sam

Comment

I'm in sciennes/marchmont, and have a '96 3.0td 4Runner (ie UK, not import). It seems to make the insurance cheaper, but lacks AC....

I'd certainly be interested in the number of this bloke, i've been round the houses trying to find someone that knows their arse from their elbow. This is my first diesel, and i've had a lot to learn.

Off to Newcastle tonight, but will catch up next week.

Cheers,

Axel

Comment

Originally posted by turbotommy
            I'm in sciennes/marchmont, and have a '96 3.0td 4Runner (ie UK, not import). It seems to make the insurance cheaper, but lacks AC....

I'd certainly be interested in the number of this bloke, i've been round the houses trying to find someone that knows their arse from their elbow. This is my first diesel, and i've had a lot to learn.

Off to Newcastle tonight, but will catch up next week.

Cheers,

Axel
            Hi,

Number is 0131 661 8378

Tell him sam sent you(he'll know me as the guy with the scimitar)

Regards

Sam
            Attached Files
            Last edited by sammy; 8 April 2004, 17:27.

Comment

Craney sheared the bolt on one of the idler pulleys on his 2.4 while driving around, could be simular.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Is all this neccesary?
                Regards
                Sam
                This guy sounds like he knows something about Surfs.He probably means the idler gear bolt(s).Some 3 litre Surfs here in Australia had problems with these breaking.From memory they are 8mm and were redrilled and retapped to 10mm.

Neville
                Last edited by NiftyNev; 9 April 2004, 11:46.

Comment

You may have to register on the Aussie site (http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/index.php) to access this but there is some info here about these bolts.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=877

Neville

Comment

Cheers guys.

Think I'll order the bolts and get the whole lot done as he said it wont be any dearer to fit all the parts than just fitting the belt!

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                    X