Starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problems

Hi guys I'm new here and have joined so that I can get some help with the starting problems that I'm having with my 93 3.TD 4runner engine

I'm running a mix of new veg oil with diesel (about 60%) to save a few quid. Now when I start up in the morning or after a long stand (ie all day at work) its really lumpy until Ive drove a short distance..

It starts OK but then immediately goes really lumpy. Leaving it ticking over it stays lumpy for ages, rev it a bit and it smooths out after a short while but dumps clouds of white smoke out, drive it and it has low power for a short distance (less than a half mile) and then picks up.

If I stop after it smooths out it ticks over ok and even starts ok

I used to run this mix in my 2.4d lux and it was ok.

Anybody got any ideas what could be causing this?

Ive got a few myself, Clogging the pipes or filter, knackered glow plugs or even a vacuum problem from the pump.

Help me please

Thanks in advance Bazz

try reducing the veg oil to say 25% veg 75% diesel

Comment

change the filter and fill it with redex or atf then drive it like you stole it.
      My 3.0l is the same on start up and i'm running approx 45l veg to 10-15l fuel and is lumpy on start up.Give it a short while and its ok.
      Do the fuel filter and see how it goes from there
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
        change the filter and fill it with redex or atf then drive it like you stole it.
        My 3.0l is the same on start up and i'm running approx 45l veg to 10-15l fuel and is lumpy on start up.Give it a short while and its ok.
        Do the fuel filter and see how it goes from there

Was thinking of changing the filter and then running a full tank of pure diesel with redex injector cleaner in it. Then going back to the veg mix. This should clean out all the pipes too.

Might change the glow plugs at the same time as ive done almost everything else service wise since I bought it.

Have heard about adding methanol to the veg so I can run on 100%, anybody heard of this?

Thanks for the help guys

Bazz

Comment

during the summer i run just about 100% without methanol but i do mix 1l of white spirit to 15-20l of veg tho

Comment

If I remember correctly, there's a tiny filter on the rear of the fuel pump on the 3.0 maybe that is clogged.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              If I remember correctly, there's a tiny filter on the rear of the fuel pump on the 3.0 maybe that is clogged.
              oh yes i forgot about that.I remember TonyN saying about that one a few weeks back

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Will have to look for that one

Comment

Working...
                X