Injecter & fuel system service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injecter & fuel system service

Does anyone happen to know a good place that can do a full fuel system service??

I've changed the glow plugs, batteries, fuel filter, air filter, oil filer and oil and checked all the fuses, but my truck still labours when starting. I can only assume that the gallons of injector cleaners and ATF that I've poured into the tank over the past 6 months or so haven't worked....

Anyone in or near to Warwickshire would be preferred due to possibly having the leave the truck there...

TIA
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

i can't help you with the service, but.... i've had trouble starting mine. it turns over easily but takes an age to start. i changed the glow plugs,filters, etc but it made no difference.

try pumping the priming pump thats on top of the fuel filter before you start, does it make any difference? i had to do this so i suspected an air leak in the system somewhere. disconnect the fuel pipe that runs from the filter to the injector pump, rig up a gravity fed diesel supply (i pushed a smaller diameter hose into the fuel line, shoved a funnel into the end of it and secured it to the top of the bonnet with a bungee) fill with diesel and wait. does it leak into the return line? no? how easily does it start? better? then the pump is OK. mine slowly leaked into the return line. further investigation revealed that fuel was leaking past the thread on the return screw into teh return line banjo fitting and out through the hose. (hex head screw on top of injector pump with 2 hoses. (undo with 17mm spanner. 14mm hex head on top of this)

run your truck for a few miles. stop and undo the fuel filer cap. is there a hissing noise? no? good. yes? there's a vacuum being created in the tank. check the breather pipe.

try running a clear pipe from the inlet on the fuel filter to a container of diesel on the ground. prime it and run the engine. switch off, leave for an age then restart.is it better? before starting check the clear tubing. is there still fuel in it? if so it's holding vacuum from the injector pump upto and including the fuel filter. if it's not holding vacuum put the clear tubing from the container directly to the pump and repeat. holding vacuum? yes? pump is good. filter is not!

i've been doing all of these checks and now suspect teh fittings on top of the fuel tank. time will tell.

easily done checks that cost nothing.

Comment

Working...
    X