turns over but won't fire up easily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turns over but won't fire up easily

here's the problem, 1kz-te engine turns over for upto 10 seconds before finally firing. does it hot or cold. (leave it 30 mins after a long run and it's the same) checked glow plugs and they're fine. glow plug relay also good. it's asif fuel isn't getting to the engine and it cranks over until it does.

any ideas on where to start looking, things to check etc.

many thanks.

when was the fuel filter last changed as i would start from that.Fit a new filter and fill with redex and drive it like you stole it to give the injectors a good clean.
    When you take the fuel filler cap off is there a hissing sound coming from the tank if so then theres a blocked breather in the tank.try these first and then go from there.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thanks.

the fuel filter was changed 2 weeks ago. i've used an injectior cleaner and driven it over 300 miles in stolen mode. it's steadilly getting worse.

Comment

what about the filler cap removal and any hissing as in pressure releasing from the tank

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          what about the filler cap removal and any hissing as in pressure releasing from the tank

no, none at all.

Comment

prime the filter by hand before firing up. if it starts first time, then the fuel is syphoning back out of the filter. possibly. or not. i dunno. either way, its a fair bet you are right, its firing up when the fuel finally gets to the engine. check for a small leak in the pipes, pump etc.
            If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

if i had a leak in one of the hoses, would fuel not leak out when the engine is running and the system is pressurised?

could i have air trapped in the fuel system somewhere? as the engine is turning over and the system pressurises, the air is compressed, the fuel gets through. when switched off the air expands pushing the fuel away? bit like having air in your brake lines? is this possible?

Comment

when i prime up my new filters, if the hand pump doesn't get stiff, i gently ease away the smaller fuel pipe, (don't pull it off, just back it off to let air blow past) the one nearest the wing and a fair bit of air hisses out of that befor any fuel skwerts out,

just thought ide mention that because you said about a new filter and compressing air,
                Last edited by davemaxx; 30 May 2008, 00:19.

Comment

Originally posted by nordic venture View Post
                  if i had a leak in one of the hoses, would fuel not leak out when the engine is running and the system is pressurised?
                  no, the system isnt a pressurised one until after the pump. The pump pulls the fuel from the tank (hence if your breather pipe is blocked you can get 'suckback' as the fuel tank builds a vacuum), via the filter and pressurises it on the way out, to the injectors. so a small air leak in the lines might be all it is, basically allowing the fuel out and air into the system. could be your filter primer is cracked, they do go, mine did last year. got a roughtrax replacement, though you will find any number of breakers on here who may have a good one.
                  Last edited by legendgamesmaster; 30 May 2008, 20:28.
                  If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Hi Peeps,

New to this forum (seems very helpful by the way) I'm having the same trouble as the guy above, don't know if he managed to resolve this. Anyway replaced the glowplugs still the same, guy at the garage (I'm not mechanically minded) tried to prime the fuel filter and it would not prime, so removed the fuel outlet pipe from the primer and tried to prime again, nothing. He then attached a device to the outlet pipe to draw the fuel through which was fine, he then replaced the outlet pipe back to the primer and the primer started to work, as in, it became stiff when pumped (I'm still talking about the Surf by the way ).

This morning I came across this site and saw the replies above to the same problem. So I primed my fuel filter before starting, and hay presto my surf started first time (as it always has in the 2 years I've owned it). Did this 4 or 5 times and each time the surf started first time. Left it for about 10 - 15 minutes and tried again, this time not priming the fuel filter, on this ocassion the surf did'nt start first time, so primed the fuel filter again and the surf started first time.

Obviously based on what I have read there appears to be an air issue, however I cannot see any fuel leakages or any visible signs of the primer being damaged or cracked. Based on what I have written above, would you guys feel it is more primer related or fuel line related.

Sorry to be so long winded, and any help would be appreciated.

Comment

It's not unheard of for hairline cracks to form in the filter head (primer) which allow air in and could easily cause the symptoms you describe. It could also be a slight leak on the fuel pump seals, but you'd normally see (or smell) diesel on the top of the fuel pump if this was the case, i still have a very slight leak, and can't see diesel anymore, but occasionally leave a drip or two soaked into the driveway and get a whiff of diesel from the front end of the surf when parked after a run.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Hi Nero,

Thanks for the reply, I've taken the plunge and ordered a new primer from roughtrax, I just hope after laying out £100 that it solves the problem. But thats the joys of motoring as they say, I've checked the fuel line this afternoon and no leaks appear to be seen, so fingers crossed on the primer.

Comment

Pity vince as i have just taken one off of the breaker here and i'm 5 mins up the road from you aswell.The primer works perfect aswell as the truck was running ok until i noticed a cracked block

Comment

Hi Storm,

Thanks for that, nice to know your just down the road though. Any centre caps for the original Toyota alloys? Also looking for a nice clean front A frame bar, there is a section on mine where the chrome has started to rust. Would be useful to have your number.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X