Power options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power options

Does anyone know what sort of power you can get from the gen 2 kxn130 3.0l. im thinking about tuning this one up so i have a diesel one and a petrol, i dont expect the diesel to come remotely close to the power output of the petrol but somewhere around 220-260bhp would be good, if it's possible.
    Completely bitten by the off road bug, and what better vehicle to do it in!

Im not an engine guru but i would say it would be pretty damn near impossible, if only due to the fact that its an old diesel engine an it wont exactly rev its nuts off.

The money you would pour into making it that powerful would probably be on a par with doing a V8 swap.

out of curiosity why do you want a powerful diesel surf mate?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooler View Post
      Does anyone know what sort of power you can get from the gen 2 kxn130 3.0l. im thinking about tuning this one up so i have a diesel one and a petrol, i dont expect the diesel to come remotely close to the power output of the petrol but somewhere around 220-260bhp would be good, if it's possible.
      lol, at 130hp stock (at the flywheel) I'd say the bottom end of a 1KZ/TE isn't going to live long if you can even get it to produce that much power.

A RZN130 (the 3.0 V6) is only 150hp, and isn't noticablely quicker in reality TBH as the oil burner has far more torque, just sounds nicer and slightly quicker of the mark.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

A RZN130 (the 3.0 V6) is only 150hp, and isn't noticablely quicker in reality TBH as the oil burner has far more torque, just sounds nicer and slightly quicker of the mark.
        That would be the VZN130. R is reserved for in-line engines. Anyway, I spent ages with mine researching how to make it faster and the conclusion was that it's not really worth bothering. You'll spend a fortune on bugger all power and probably destroy what seems to be considered a weak engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
          That would be the VZN130. R is reserved for in-line engines.
          Yeah, you're right. Blame the heat...

Comment

well was just asking as allisport reckon they can get another 40% power out of it with a front mounted intercooler, and some form of modified ecu. i want more power (dont we all!!! ;-) cos this is my towing and work truck, i use it for mild offroading and a diesel is a lot better for that. i do have a 1991 ssr limited with a toyota supra engine in it pushing 340bhp. so far havent broken anything yet, but once i put on the 35" wheel i have a funny feeling my half shafts, splines and even gearbox shall need upgrading. the benefit of that engine is its power is all at the top end of the rev range especially when both turbos kick in. so you do break stuff at low down revs.

i just want the diesel for extra grunt and general mucking about till i finish the other project.

Comment

You will get maybe 25BHP with an intercooler. No chance of modifying the ECU but you could try a bobbox for more if you want more. They mostly just chuck more fuel in when you put your foot down though, not a proper remap.

You haven't got a chance of getting an extra 40%.

Comment

well was just asking as allisport reckon they can get another 40% power out of it with a front mounted intercooler, and some form of modified ecu. i want more power (dont we all!!! ;-) cos this is my towing and work truck, i use it for mild offroading and a diesel is a lot better for that. i do have a 1991 ssr limited with a toyota supra engine in it pushing 340bhp. so far havent broken anything yet, but once i put on the 35" wheel i have a funny feeling my half shafts, splines and even gearbox shall need upgrading. the benefit of that engine is its power is all at the top end of the rev range especially when both turbos kick in. so you do break stuff at low down revs.

i just want the diesel for extra grunt and general mucking about till i finish the other project.
                we need to see pics of this truck with the supra engine in.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

You will get maybe 25BHP with an intercooler. No chance of modifying the ECU but you could try a bobbox for more if you want more. They mostly just chuck more fuel in when you put your foot down though, not a proper remap.
                  Alisport do a ECU upgrade to go with the intercooler on their 2nd Gen kits, I know this because they fitted one to a 3rd gen, and it works great for 2 days, then throws a ECU check light and doesn't run as well.

Less impressed as they have now washed their hands of the truck after failing to fix it, leaving the owner stuck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                    we need to see pics of this truck with the supra engine in.
                    +1 wheres the pics!
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      Alisport do a ECU upgrade to go with the intercooler on their 2nd Gen kits, I know this because they fitted one to a 3rd gen, and it works great for 2 days, then throws a ECU check light and doesn't run as well.

Less impressed as they have now washed their hands of the truck after failing to fix it, leaving the owner stuck with it.
                      I did not know that. Maybe it's 40% extra power to the check light?

Comment

I did not know that. Maybe it's 40% extra power to the check light?

Comment

you lot are nuts.i have a few pics already but as it's still work in progress i'm going to keep you all waiting. the engine is in. i have cataloged everything i have done so far. for you all to see when its finished. by the way do you think blood red and chrome/stainless steel is a good combo?
                          ;-)

Comment

do you think blood red and chrome/stainless steel is a good combo?
                            ;-)
                            It works for axe murderers.

Comment

lol
                              Tim
                              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                              X