ATF Level ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF Level ???

Checked the ATF level on my new truck yesterday as described in several places here (whilst hot and running). The level was about 20mm ABOVE the hot mark on dipstick so I syphoned some out using a thin tube until I got it down to the correct "HOT" level. After standing overnight, should this now have dropped to COLD? I checked it again this morning before starting engine and level is same as it was when hot.

Thanks in advance,

Alan
    If at first you don't succeed,
    Destroy all evidence that you even tried.

did you just run the engine until up to temp or did you move the gear selector in and out of gear a few times while ya foot was on the brake when the engine was up to temp as this is the correct way of doing it
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi Richard

Started by taking the truck for a drive of about 15 mins then moved gear selector from top to bottom with foot on brake and waited a couple of seconds in each position before moving to the next, up and down the selections two or three times. Then I began to syphon off the fluid from the dipstick tube - all without switching engine off.

Alan

Comment

It should be in the cold range when first starting the engine from cold, in the hot range with hot engine, running.

With the engine off, the fluid is not being pumped so the reading will be high.

It's the same with the power steering fluid.

Comment

Yes I suspected it should be in the COLD range before starting engine this morning but it was definitely at the HOT level and engine was stone cold. I was thinking about letting engine go cold again and remove more ATF down to the COLD level on dipstick, then go through the checking process again and top up as necessary. Anyone have any thoughts on that idea please?

Alan

Comment

Can't see a problem with doing that. Is the fluid in good condition, i.e. red wine colour and not brown?

Comment

Apparently colour is ok.....colour blind myself but after checking with the wife she confirmed it was something like red wine.....she drinks enough of the stuff (wine, not ATF) so she should know.

Comment

Just checking - was the engine running when you took the cold reading too?

Comment

Originally posted by Alamo View Post
                  Yes I suspected it should be in the COLD range before starting engine this morning
                  It should be in the cold range AFTER the engine is started in the morning.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sancho - Took reading before starting engine this morning as I thought level may have dropped as engine went cold during the night.

TonyN - Thanks for that, will try again later.

Comment

Sancho - Took reading before starting engine this morning as I thought level may have dropped as engine went cold during the night.

TonyN - Thanks for that, will try again later.
                      What I do as I think the book tells me is the following.
                      With the engine RUNNING select each gear in turn, D,R,2, and low then back to N or P. all with the brake firmly applied.
                      Keep engine running and pull the stick.
                      If the engine is cold, the reading should be in the COLD section, but if the engine and transmission is at the normal running temperature, the reading should be in the HOT section all done, with the engine running.

Hope this clarifies things.

Mike

Comment

Thanks all,

Seems as though I should have been checking the COLD level with engine running too....and I wasn't! Level checking works a treat now and both HOT and COLD levels are where they should be. Heaven knows how long the previous owner had been driving around with much too much ATF. Whats the chances of any permanent trans damage?

Cheers

Alan

Comment

Thanks all,

Seems as though I should have been checking the COLD level with engine running too....and I wasn't! Level checking works a treat now and both HOT and COLD levels are where they should be. Heaven knows how long the previous owner had been driving around with much too much ATF. Whats the chances of any permanent trans damage?

Cheers

Alan
                          Little to none unless it was WAY over the top

Comment

Thanks Mike, thats good to hear.
                            Level was originally around 20mm (3/4") above the highest notch on the dipstick so hopefully that's not what would be called "way over"?
                            Thanks again to everyone else who has responded to my plea for info here. Your help has been very much appreciated.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                            X