Overheating Gen 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating Gen 3

Hi Guys I was wondering if anybody could make head or tail on my overheating problem on my gen 3 surf 3.0, The problem im getting is it only overheats either when I tow a caravan or trailer up hill or when I drive without them at a constant speed of 80 mph on the motorway. I dont loose any coolant and have also changed my rad cap and thermostat and added new original red toyota coolant and burped the system but still no joy. I have noticed that my clutch thrust bearing squeaks when I pull away under pressuse when towing or when I pull away fast from lights or junctions and was wondering could that be the problem. forgot to mention that I have a manual surf and not automatic and also have had the head checked by toyota and everything is fine, Any suggestions.cheers
    I LAUGH IN THE FACE OF DANGER

sounds like you have a blocked rad.

fitting a ATF cooler is also a big bonus for engine temps if you do a lot of towing, but it shouldn't get hot not towing, deffo sounds like a plugged rad.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
      sounds like you have a blocked rad.

fitting a ATF cooler is also a big bonus for engine temps if you do a lot of towing, but it shouldn't get hot not towing, deffo sounds like a plugged rad.
      ATF cooler on a manual !! Thats a neat idea Tony .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Cheers for the info,But call me stupid and whats a ATF cooler..

Comment

Originally posted by Boyo View Post
          Cheers for the info,But call me stupid and whats a ATF cooler..
          [Puts running shoes on] Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler [runs for it sniggering]
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

stupid here again but Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler on a manual, how and how again...

Comment

Originally posted by Boyo View Post
              stupid here again but Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler on a manual, how and how again...
              Exactly wot I thought , hence my post.
              I would suggest you check the thermo viscous fan is locking in when temp gets high.
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

are you sure its the clutch squeeking and not the drive belt on the water pump?
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

it might be the water pump the shaft is loose on the impellar.ive had that happen before.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

oops.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

cheers for the info guys will check the pump/belts and viscous tue morning and will let you know the outcome.

Comment

Hi Guys, sorry for not getting back so soon, I have found the problem with the overheating and it was the radiator, First I had it pressure tested and it came back with a faulty reading indicating that it might be blocked, Then took a chance by having it removed and checked by my local rad repair garage and they said that over 55% of the rad was blocked with rust and crap. They have replaced the rad with new cores and original red toyota coolant and so far so good,no problems(fingers crossed), They also told me that this was a common problem with the toyota surf and the landcruisers as they all have the same radiators fitted,So if anyone has the same problem please have the rad checked before you consider it being anything major.Thanks for the support guys and keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                        X