KZN 185 Rear Diff Probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN 185 Rear Diff Probs

Hey guys, new to this forum so bear with me on this!

I have a 1998 KZN 185, which I beleive to be suffering from diff/axle wind up? When manouvering at slow speeds there is grinding/clunking from the rear axle somewhere, but at present its fine in a straight line. I have been advised by my local independant 4x4 centre that it should be ok until the noise is heard even in a straight line.

I have only recently purchased the vehicle, but i believe the tyres are all the same size, so maybe thats not it!

Anyways, I have been surfing ebay, breakers etc, and am trying to discover if a diff from say, a 1990 2.4 TD would fit, or if they do in fact vary?

Has anyone swapped a diff before or done a rebuild? Any advice please guys, as I say, I'm new to this thing!
    ROB - 1998 KZN185

Welcome to the forum!

On a 3rd gen, unless you have put it in locked 4wd (dunno what the exact term is, it's different from a 2nd gen) then you shouldn't be able to wind the diffs up. Unlike the 2nd gen the third gen can use 4wd on the tarmac.

As for a swap, you need to find out what diff ratio you have first. Look on the VIN plate for an axle code. You need to find a replacement diff with the same code. This page details how to read the axle code: http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar....jsp?id=274535

I've no idea if a 2.4 diff (assuming it's the right ratio) would fit a 3rd gen. Someone like TonyN will be along shortly I'm sure with an answer to that.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Ok, so I have looked into the Numbery bits, and found an axle code (or 2). I'm guessing the first code on the id plate is the front axle and the second code is the rear? The second reads 'A02A'. So i take this to be a 7.5" axle, geared at 3.58, with a 2 pinion open diff type?

I was under the impression that with an open diff type this meant there was no diff lock facility, however i do have this....

I just 'Google'd' A02A Differential and it comes up that it is the same one for certain Supra's and Lexus Soarers! Weird. (only ones with non slip diff tho obviously)

Having seen other discussions about similar problems, I do wonder however if I should be looking for a reason why the problem has occurred, rather than just fixing it for it to go wrong again.

Hmmmmm
      ROB - 1998 KZN185

Comment

Originally posted by webbee83 View Post
        Ok, so I have looked into the Numbery bits, and found an axle code (or 2). I'm guessing the first code on the id plate is the front axle and the second code is the rear? The second reads 'A02A'. So i take this to be a 7.5" axle, geared at 3.58, with a 2 pinion open diff type?

I was under the impression that with an open diff type this meant there was no diff lock facility, however i do have this....

I just 'Google'd' A02A Differential and it comes up that it is the same one for certain Supra's and Lexus Soarers! Weird. (only ones with non slip diff tho obviously)

Having seen other discussions about similar problems, I do wonder however if I should be looking for a reason why the problem has occurred, rather than just fixing it for it to go wrong again.

Hmmmmm
        its the center diff that locks, turns front n rear props at same speed, so just mak sure
        its not in the locked position,

more techy ppl will be here no doubt to tell you better than me

Comment

Open or closed refers to the amount of slip the diff has. A closed diff has little or no slip.

Comment

afternoon all

before going down the change diff route, have you checked the rear anti roll bar.
            When I got mine (3 years ago) I had the same banging/clunking sound (and thought diff = big bill).

Had a look underneath and noticed that the anti roll bar bushes were shot as were the drop links. Phone call to Milners for new bushes (£11.50 + VAT for 2) and drop links (£13.50 each)

Noise gone & never come back.

just an idea

ta hawaii
            I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Sounds good, its something I'll definately look into....

However, you can physically see the wheel clinking and the wheels skuffing when on gravel or soft surface, would this be so with the example you gave?? But yes, i will check, thanks
              ROB - 1998 KZN185

Comment

are you sure that its not just the lsd
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Diff ratio's explained here codes at the foot of page
                  Brian

Comment

That'd be the link I posted in the very first reply.

Only my link worked.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Thanks for all the posts guys.

I have some time spare tomorrow so i'm gonna lift her up and spin teh wheels n stuff to see if i can work out wat the hell is actually the problem here. I have found a guy on this site who does have a 3rd gen he's braking so hopefully may be able to get the bits there depending on the problems!

Thanks again, will maybe need more help on this one as I aint too clued up on diffs n axels n transmission etc etc...........
                      ROB - 1998 KZN185

Comment

Ok, so this morning I got her up on a jack, and gently put her in R, released the footbrake and both wheels spun, with only one completely off the ground. With her in N, handbrake off, one wheel could be spun, with a certain amount of resistance (not sure how much there should be on a 4x4).

I then decided to check the diff oil level, hmmm, managed to empty half a litre into the diff in order to top it up. I put an extendable magnet thingy into the diff and there appeared to be no filings of metal visible, which makes me think that maybe it isn't that grinding away. Upon replacement of the nut, and a brief test drive, she appeared to be better but not sorted. I removed the nut and rechecked the diff oil level, fine, and slightly pressurised, presumably from the oil warming?

I now have a greasegun to go and attack the shafts where possible, maybe that will help too.

Upon looking closely at the diff (my head being an inch away, ha ha) I have noticed some kind of sealant (like bathroom silicone) has been used around the front end (going to engine rather than wheels), is this normal? Have i bought a pile of Sh*t??

The saga continues..........
                        ROB - 1998 KZN185

Comment

Just discovered it doesnt make a sound when in neutral, and I manouvre the truck.
                          ROB - 1998 KZN185

Comment

Working...
                          X