Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First things to do

Hiya,

First post, excuse the obvious. I am clearing my 3L turbo diesel 1993 surf on the weekend from customs as an import from Jap land.

I want to get this car set up right from the start. It's got an indicated 79,400kms on the clock but is obviously 15+ years old, no service history that I can read - change the timing belt a good start? should I just go all out, change every filter I can find, brake fluid, engine oil, coolant etc. is there any benefit from using flushing agents in the engine oil and rad, or might I stir up some stuff I don't want to find?

Once I've done some/all of that are there any must have's in upgrades - ie SS braided brake lines?

I need this car to work all day, every day, I'm pretty handy with spanners but I've lived my life using Haynes manuals, swarfega and plasters and the odd hammer.

One final before I get my money's worth, does the Hilux need high Ceta rated diesel or will any old oil do?

Thanks..normally driving a Subaru Impreza WRX but need something dead reliable, believe me scooby's are not bullet proof - but that's a whole other forum. Cheers.Phil.

Help

Hello mate
    I've asked very similar questions recently. If you go to search - advanced search - search by user name pnuk you will find everyones answers to me. All very useful and helped a great deal.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by scoobyphil View Post
      Hiya,

First post, excuse the obvious. I am clearing my 3L turbo diesel 1993 surf on the weekend from customs as an import from Jap land.

I want to get this car set up right from the start. It's got an indicated 79,400kms on the clock but is obviously 15+ years old, no service history that I can read - change the timing belt a good start? should I just go all out, change every filter I can find, brake fluid, engine oil, coolant etc. is there any benefit from using flushing agents in the engine oil and rad, or might I stir up some stuff I don't want to find?

Once I've done some/all of that are there any must have's in upgrades - ie SS braided brake lines?

I need this car to work all day, every day, I'm pretty handy with spanners but I've lived my life using Haynes manuals, swarfega and plasters and the odd hammer.

One final before I get my money's worth, does the Hilux need high Ceta rated diesel or will any old oil do?

Thanks..normally driving a Subaru Impreza WRX but need something dead reliable, believe me scooby's are not bullet proof - but that's a whole other forum. Cheers.Phil.
      Hi and welcome to the home of insane surfers.
      Change all belts fluids and filters so you know everything has been done.
      I wouldn't use flushing agents myself but if you want to flush the engine oil then get some cheap stuff and run thru it for a couple of days then drain and put new filter onand oil.
      All the filters can be got from www.milneroffroad.com or www.roughtrax4x4.com I use the milners filters as you can get them for about £16 all in for the 3 of them.I would also fill the fuel filter with redex when you re fit a new one and then drive the truck like you stole it for a bit to give the fuel system a bloomin good clean.I put any disiel in mine but normally run a % of veg oil aswell.
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Cheers for the info, apart from putting this on the wrong forum and not doing a search pretty good start! I looked everywhere for the search function only to realise you only get it once you login...hmmm.

Comment

well done mate, lets see some pics of the truck then
          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Will do as soon as I find my camera! Will try and get a picky tonight before it gets dark.

Comment

Here it is, and yes I know its clean.
              Attached Files

Comment

You might want to look into changing the tyres, the Jap ones can have 'interesting' handling, and may be getting long in the tooth.
                Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I might if I could get the locking wheel nuts off! I know they run harder treads over there and it does seem to break traction quite easily, but funds are tight and they look new so it's a bit of a tough one.

PS the wheel nuts seem to need a sleeve to go over them, have an almost pyramid shape, I saw somethreads about using one of those needle type sockets, the ones that are supposed to form to any shape, but I'm not convinced they'll turn a wheel nut, or four without falling apart. Also saw a suggestion of banging on an old socket which I think I'll have a go at first, a) because it sounds feasible and b) because I get to use my favourite tool, a big lump hammer!

Comment

Working...
                  X