New head - need new rad too or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New head - need new rad too or not?

Right I've searched and can't find this question having been asked already..

New Surf has had its head go in the past and the guy who sold it to me has even supplied me with the invoice for the new cylinder head, headset, starter motor, cambelt etc which was all done over a year and around 5k miles ago.

After reading lots on here and elsewhere I've got a new rad cap, thermostat and plan to drain, flush, burp and stick new coolant in this weekend ahead of it going in the (recommended) garage for service next weekend.

When I called the garage, they suggested that when the head is changed it should have a new rad as well. Is this the case or are they trying it on?

If it does need doing is it worth me ordering the rad and getting them to fit it or letting them order and fit?

Thanks

Paul

I guess a lot of cracked heads are down to overheating, and therefore a dodgy cooling system is the usual suspect. I'm not sure of the technicalities, but it looks like most of the head issues on the Surf come down to design [on the 2:4] or fatique? Any overheating being a result of a cracked head, not the cause.

I can see the thinking, in that replacing the radiator, rad cap, thermostat, flushing the system etc will cover all the options and save future problems should the cooling system be faulty, IF its done at the same time as replacing the head, but if you've not had any problems in the year/5KM following the head change, I wouldn't think it neccessary?

I'd imagine they aren't "trying it on" so much as assuming the car is prone to overheating? What is the condition of the radiator? If you flush it through, and its not all clogged up etc then i'd assume it was fine. I replaced mine a while ago, but it was leaking like a seive. Roughtrax do a reconditioned exchange or brand new Toyota origionals [for future reference]

Comment

surf or not to surf

Originally posted by pnuk View Post
      Right I've searched and can't find this question having been asked already.. b very wary.i bought one which the head ad been replaced.l8tr on the head has gone due 2 splitting the rad. so rather than mess around i bought another surf 3.0. have got 2 now .

New Surf has had its head go in the past and the guy who sold it to me has even supplied me with the invoice for the new cylinder head, headset, starter motor, cambelt etc which was all done over a year and around 5k miles ago.

After reading lots on here and elsewhere I've got a new rad cap, thermostat and plan to drain, flush, burp and stick new coolant in this weekend ahead of it going in the (recommended) garage for service next weekend.

When I called the garage, they suggested that when the head is changed it should have a new rad as well. Is this the case or are they trying it on?

If it does need doing is it worth me ordering the rad and getting them to fit it or letting them order and fit?

Thanks

Paul
      sigos85@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by 286bhp View Post
        think you'll find more people take up your generous offer if you pay for your bleedin ad in the parts for sale section. Post has been duly reported.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

welcome to the forum and get a bollocking in response to your first postD
          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
            Yoshie's been teaching me good

besides I was very subtle, i merely suggested he may get more responses in the correct area of the forum and that as it happens you need to pay a fee to start a thread in that section

Welcome to the forum Dave
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

you'd make a good teacher...sir
              Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                typical response from a welsh person
                .say wat u mean why dont u.haveing welsh people in my family,i am used 2 there straight and abrupt mannor. regars dave
                sigos85@hotmail.com

Comment

286bhp? whatchagot then?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    286bhp? whatchagot then?
                    i got a knackerd 3.0 ssrx 1973 which im scraping.i bought differant 3.0 ssrx 1975 jacked up big time.
                    sigos85@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      286bhp? whatchagot then?
                      i got a car as standard kicking out 286bhp.its a bmw.if thats wat ya ment. oh by the way being new 2 this site,still dont no wat to do 2 addvertize ????can u help? and yes i no u have 2 pay. SURF ON>
                      sigos85@hotmail.com

Comment

i got a car as standard kicking out 286bhp.its a bmw.if thats wat ya ment. oh by the way being new 2 this site,still dont no wat to do 2 addvertize ????can u help? and yes i no u have 2 pay. SURF ON>
                        place the ad in the parts for sale section as you normally would then send a payment of £3 i tghink it is now to koi giving your username etc and as soon as payment has been recieved koi will make you ad live.
                        Have you got a load cover going cheap by the way.Thanks
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                          place the ad in the parts for sale section as you normally would then send a payment of £3 i tghink it is now to koi giving your username etc and as soon as payment has been recieved koi will make you ad live.
                          Have you got a load cover going cheap by the way.Thanks
                          got 1 but needs respringing.its out position and wont recoil.
                          sigos85@hotmail.com

Comment

got 1 but needs respringing.its out position and wont recoil.
                            i only need the 2 plastic ends that go over the spring so how much for it inc p&p
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                              i only need the 2 plastic ends that go over the spring so how much for it inc p&p
                              is it the 2 outside bits that have got 3 screws in? if it is u can av em.post wont b hardley anything so dont worry. if u want em just send add or fone no.cheers.dave
                              sigos85@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X