starter motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter motor

Any one removed this from a 3rd gen yet, what is the trick to getting the motor out of the engine bay.

Or do I change the contacts in situ

Bit the bullet and changed the contacts and plunger when the starter motor was still in the engine bay.
    How I did it.
    1. Jack up the nearside front and remove wheel, place on axle stand.
    2. Disconnect both batteries and remove the air filter and box.
    3. From under the wheel arch disconnect the two electrical connections to the starter motor
    3. using a 17mm spanner or short socket and power bar break the tension in the top nut holding the starter motor in. This is a bitch to get at and undo, needed to WD40 it and apply a little heat. Use a solder mat to protect the cables if you do use a bow torch.
    4. The bottom is held in with a bolt; again using a 17mm spanner, socket remove.
    5. From underneath the wheel arch pull the starter back and then turn clockwise such that the contacts and plunger end are upright and you can access them from under the bonnet.
    6. Standing on the removed wheel using a cross point screwdriver, or socket remove the 3 securing bolts taking care as it is under spring tension.
    7. After this its identical to the other starter motor contact replacement threads. http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26016

managed this with only one skint knuckle and 3 wetabix for the top nut

Comment

Originally posted by langtounboy View Post
      Bit the bullet and changed the contacts and plunger when the starter motor was still in the engine bay.
      How I did it.
      1. Jack up the nearside front and remove wheel, place on axle stand.
      2. Disconnect both batteries and remove the air filter and box.
      3. From under the wheel arch disconnect the two electrical connections to the starter motor
      3. using a 17mm spanner or short socket and power bar break the tension in the top nut holding the starter motor in. This is a bitch to get at and undo, needed to WD40 it and apply a little heat. Use a solder mat to protect the cables if you do use a bow torch.
      4. The bottom is held in with a bolt; again using a 17mm spanner, socket remove.
      5. From underneath the wheel arch pull the starter back and then turn clockwise such that the contacts and plunger end are upright and you can access them from under the bonnet.
      6. Standing on the removed wheel using a cross point screwdriver, or socket remove the 3 securing bolts taking care as it is under spring tension.
      7. After this its identical to the other starter motor contact replacement threads. http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26016

managed this with only one skint knuckle and 3 wetabix for the top nut
      Looks like I got to do this now .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Have a look on the Aus tech site there is a good how to on there with pictures as well, helped me a lot.

Comment

there's lots of room on a 3rd gen, either out bottom (last couple of 3rd Gens i did might have had a body lift though) or remove airfilter box and fuel filter and out that way.

its not that tricky a job.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X