annoying ringing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• annoying ringing

just started to get a noise from the gearbox area like a ringing noise when i am just cruising, and when it changes gear. seems to be when there is no load on the engine, fluid level all ok, any ideas anybody

cheers johnno
    15 years in shiny club, lovely

Originally posted by geordie john View Post
    just started to get a noise from the gearbox area like a ringing noise when i am just cruising, and when it changes gear. seems to be when there is no load on the engine, fluid level all ok, any ideas anybody

cheers johnno
    Maybe you inadvertently ran over a small man whilst they were on their mobile phone and he's stuck up underneath your car
    Save earth...it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

I had a noise like that once on an auto, after much dismantling and putting back together, it turned out to be a small dust cover plate on the under side of the bell housing which was used to access some timing marks on the flywheel, it had been hit by some debris thrown up off the road, and had been bent inwards, and the teeth on the flywheel were catching on it.

Would be worth investigating, as all the mechanics that looked at it wanted to remove/replace/overhaul the flywheel and gearbox, and I fixed it for nothing in the end, as the plate just unbolted and the dent was hammered out.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
        I had a noise like that once on an auto, after much dismantling and putting back together, it turned out to be a small dust cover plate on the under side of the bell housing which was used to access some timing marks on the flywheel, it had been hit by some debris thrown up off the road, and had been bent inwards, and the teeth on the flywheel were catching on it.

Would be worth investigating, as all the mechanics that looked at it wanted to remove/replace/overhaul the flywheel and gearbox, and I fixed it for nothing in the end, as the plate just unbolted and the dent was hammered out.
        thanks for the replies lads, must say that it sounds as though the starter motor is just catching the ring gear but the noise is,nt there all the time just at certain revs. does sound like something loose in gearbox area. will look at that cover plate asap, on friday had truck on ramps it seemed to be from top of gearbox area, wondering if it was the linkage set up. will keep you posted.
        cheers johnno

Comment

Originally posted by geordie john View Post
          thanks for the replies lads, must say that it sounds as though the starter motor is just catching the ring gear but the noise is,nt there all the time just at certain revs. does sound like something loose in gearbox area. will look at that cover plate asap, on friday had truck on ramps it seemed to be from top of gearbox area, wondering if it was the linkage set up. will keep you posted.
          cheers johnno
          hi lads
          just found out the cause of the noise, the exhaust clamp from the engine had a bit of play on it so removed it and adjusted it all ok now. thanks for the sugestions anyway lads much appreciated
          cheers johnno

Comment

Working...
          X