Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting out when going along.

Hi there,

looking for some help,. I have just bought a hylux surf 3 litre 1994 l-reg.
    Basically it will drive for hours or even a day without playing up (or it could play up straight away) and then i'll be going along and it will cut out just as if the power to the engine had been cut.
    The funny thing is that it will restart imediately and carry on as normal.
    The power to every thing else remains when it happens and after a trip to the garage to have the codes read it brings up nothing as the problem has righted itself straight away.
    Any help will be grately appreciated

That does'nt sound like much fun..I'm not qualified to offer anything constructive [unless you are getting a weird noise on full lock, in which case i can announce with some confidence, your bits need greasing]

However, I do recal someone experiencing a similar thing due to a loose main earth strap shorting out on the chassis [or something]. I'm not sure if thats a reasonable starting point [seriously, i'm no expert]..but it'll be an inexpensive one if nothing else.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Comment

Thanks for that i'll have a look in the morning. It would be great if it was just that.
      Thanks for the welcome and hello to any one else reading this.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Phil

Does the car die through what would seem to be an electrical problem or a fuel problem ?

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Its dificult to say i was thinking electrical but this morning it seemed to judder on idle so i thought fuel. I have now put clear hose on the inlet and outlet of the fuel filter/primer and have discovered that air is coming from the primer to the fuel pump.
          I'm sure this has to be it wouldnt you say? I am only double minded because if this was the main problem would it not strugle to restart?

Comment

Personally I would look at the advise here and also try priming the pump (pushing that black button on top of the filter until it's hard)

Let us know how you get on

As an aside what's the state of your fuel filter, has it been changed recently ?

Trev
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Working...
            X