In plain english please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In plain english please

Just been looking at this on http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/recall.htm
    can someone put it into plain english for me please.
    It does not mean a thing to me.

Frame numbers: KD-KZN185W, KZN185-0001022 - KZN185-0041496, KZN185-9000000 - KZN185-9010906, KD-KZN185G, KZN185-0001022 - KZN185-0041496, KZN185-9000000 - KZN185-9010906
    Report date: May 27 1997
    Production period: December 23rd 1994 - February 24 1997
    Condition circumstances: Because the rubber plug which is on the left side of the motive for action machine (the dead water plug) heat resistance is insufficient, when crack occurs in particular lag, the chilled water leaks, it is worst, there is a possibility of reaching to the overheat.
    Fix: Serial number of the motive for action machine is verified, the vehicle which corresponds exchanges the rubber plug with the measure item.
    [center] [/center]

Basically there's a plug in the side of the engine which allows access to the internal spaces where the coolant flows through the engine block. The plug doesn't stand up to heat very well and eventually cracks, allowing the coolant to leak out. Obviously if you have no coolant, the engine overheats.

Well, at least that's what I make of it, someone please correct me if I'm wrong

My chassis number falls within that range but have never figured out where the plug is or whether it's been replaced. Can't be bothered to look very hard to be honest. Got 146,000km on it now so if it was going to crack it should have done it by now. Looking at the dates of the report, it appears it took them a little over a year (from when the first 3rd gen was built 11/95) to issue a recall. So it must have been a fairly obvious problem. Anyhow, it may not have affected every car, just some cars within that range of chassis nos, who knows.
    Either way I'm not worried about it.

Cheers
    Rob

Comment

Ahhh so it a core plug they are on about ......
      Thanks for the help.
      Conker

Originally posted by Rob
      Basically there's a plug in the side of the engine which allows access to the internal spaces where the coolant flows through the engine block. The plug doesn't stand up to heat very well and eventually cracks, allowing the coolant to leak out. Obviously if you have no coolant, the engine overheats.

Well, at least that's what I make of it, someone please correct me if I'm wrong

My chassis number falls within that range but have never figured out where the plug is or whether it's been replaced. Can't be bothered to look very hard to be honest. Got 146,000km on it now so if it was going to crack it should have done it by now. Looking at the dates of the report, it appears it took them a little over a year (from when the first 3rd gen was built 11/95) to issue a recall. So it must have been a fairly obvious problem. Anyhow, it may not have affected every car, just some cars within that range of chassis nos, who knows.
      Either way I'm not worried about it.

Cheers
      Rob
      [center] [/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Conker
        Ahhh so it a core plug they are on about ......
        Thanks for the help.
        Conker
        Yeah, I assume so.

Comment

Working...
        X