Unusual one for the experts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual one for the experts.

As you all know I have had head problems for some time. New head fitted then coolant escaping through expansion tank and two pressure tests and still coolant escaping.
    Well we have checked the cooling system for exhaust gasses three times and there was none. It seems that the problem may well be a leak in the bottom of the radiator into where the power steering fluid goes to be cooled and this is pressurising the system. When this is by passed the coolant stops blowing out. Has anyone else heard of this?

Originally posted by SimonT View Post
    As you all know I have had head problems for some time. New head fitted then coolant escaping through expansion tank and two pressure tests and still coolant escaping.
    Well we have checked the cooling system for exhaust gasses three times and there was none. It seems that the problem may well be a leak in the bottom of the radiator into where the power steering fluid goes to be cooled and this is pressurising the system. When this is by passed the coolant stops blowing out. Has anyone else heard of this?
    um.are you sure its not the auto g/box fluid.there wouldnt be enough pressure in the steering pump.so if the g/box pump is pumping fluid into the rad then the g/box oil level will be low and its quite possible that the g/box oil is contaminated as would be your engine coolant..so sooner or later its gonna bugga yer g/box and fill your engine with atf.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Yep, sorry it is the gearbox and not the power steering. It doesn't matter though as I have just taken her out and the temp gauge has shot up again and she has blown a load of coolant out of the expansion tank. A new head, two effing pressure tests a gas test to tell me there are no gasses in the cooling system and nearly two grand out of pocket and I am still no better off. I've owned some shh in my time but this takes the biscuit. Hate is a really strong word but that is how I feel about my Surf. I am loathed to go out and spend £900 on a new head for me to still be in the same boat.
      If someone could help I would gladly give them my phone number to ring me and I would ring them back.
      Thanks in advance, Simon.

Comment

just wondering if the thermostat has been put in the right way round and if this would cause your problems
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

It has had two thermostats to see if that was the fault and a replacement rad cap. I will get the mechanic to check it but I am sure it is in the right way round. Other people have told me pressure testing is a waste of time and the gas test kit is the best way to go. I have had both done and had the water pump checked and the fan checked as well and still problems.

Comment

has the cooling system been burped properly and all the air taken out as it may have an airlock causing it to throw water out.
            both heaters on fullblast set to hot rad cap off and engine running and top up as neccessary and allow the air to come out fit rad cap take for a drive then let cool down and check levels again and repeat again if needed
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hairline crack in one of the cylinder liners?
              Another thought, is the waterpump in good order? If not could be causing 'hot-spotting' which would cause coolant to chuck out as bits of it get super hot and turn to steam (gas) in the block/head.
              I have had water pumps that seems fine, ie no wobble at the belt end, but the impellor has sheared off the shaft, so not actually pumping coolant round.
              Last edited by rodthrutheblock; 16 February 2008, 01:01.

Comment

Who fitted the head?

Who ever fitted it is responsible to get it working, as I assume that they told you that the original head had gone to get the business from you.

If the transmission cooler in the rad is suspect, pull off both cooler hoses and join them together temporarily with a length of 10mm tube and see if that cures the coolant pressure build up, then you'll know you'll need a new rad. Coolant will come out the trans. cooler spouts on the rad anyway if that was the problem.

The only things I can think of, is if one or two coolant hoses have been refitted incorrectly preventing coolant circulation.
                Or the head gasket was fitted incorrectly and covering some waterways in the block.

Comment

The guy that originally fitted it has closed down. I managed to get the vehicle back before he did and I am not paying him the remainder of the bill as he did not sort the car. The original head was gone. It had all the tell tale signs. Rock hard hoses on tick over and bellows of white smoke.
                  Vince, I have by passed the transmission cooler and it is still forcing coolant out of the expansion tank. Last night while driving around at around 30mph down some country lanes the gauge stayed in the cold position. After accelerating up a hill on the dual carriageway for 300 metres the gauge went up to 3/4's very quickly. When I pulled over and opened the bonnet, the coolant level was right up and was also in the battery tray. On a side note the Surf had been stood for a few months and started first time and there is no smoke coming out of the exhaust. She runs really sweetly. The water pump has been checked as has the impala.
                  What are the chances of the block being a problem. I cannot get this checked as there is no one in the area with the facilities to test the block and in its current condition I cannot drive it a great distance. Your help and suggestions are appreciated and I apologise for all the questions, but I have owned this vehicle for 11 months and managed to run it for 3 weeks at a total cost in repair bills of over £2000 and it is effing frustrating.
                  Simon.

Comment

Get a proper pressure test done. I don't mean a cooling system pressure test either. I am talking about a cylinder pressure test. A good mechanic should know what this is and be able to do it. My personal opinion is your last mechanic stuffed up the job and you have a faulty head, head gasket or even a cracked block.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                      Get a proper pressure test done. I don't mean a cooling system pressure test either. I am talking about a cylinder pressure test. A good mechanic should know what this is and be able to do it. My personal opinion is your last mechanic stuffed up the job and you have a faulty head, head gasket or even a cracked block.

Nev
                      I had a cylinder head test done and a new gasket and bolts fitted. Also a 400 mile round trip to get the head tested as no one in this area could do it. If it is the block then I am going to have a big bonfire.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonT View Post
                        I had a cylinder head test done and a new gasket and bolts fitted. Also a 400 mile round trip to get the head tested as no one in this area could do it. If it is the block then I am going to have a big bonfire.
                        before setting fire to it give stevo a call 0161 476 6144
                        explain your situation to him he may be able to advise what checks to do
                        at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Spoke to Stevo today. He says that it is very unlikely that there is a problem with the block and to check the block is level and I will have to bite the bullet and replace the head. Has anyone seen the film the Money Pit, well I own their car.

Simon.

Comment

Considering what work has been done everything really suggests a leak in the engine somewhere.

Pressure tests must be done very professionally or show nothing; Across hot temperature too. This can still not show engine running temperatures during combustion - up hills!

Stevo is best to give you the next step.

I'd say the leak increases under load and combustion suggesting cracks/leaks to head or block (temp sensitive)
                            Air bubbles (or hot exhaust gas) collect in the system until the air 'hotspot' hits the temp sender and drops the heat reading down low. Causes a cycling effect when enough passes the thermostat I believe making everything intensified. Coolant will head out exhaust or expansion tank and more air coming back in. The engine goes really hot and expands the whole lot more until it chucks it out fast.

Was this a genuine head and genuine gasket and why has the garage closed that fitted it? Fully cleaned head surfaces and torqued properly?

Was the original cause of the head going found and fixed?

May be something more simple but you need to carry a big bottle of coolant mix and have stops to travel any distance for repair. You may save the head but maybe its gone already?

You need diagnosis from a professional though as this is my experience from another engine type.
                            When my surf 3.0 TD head actually went I had no overheating just heavy steam out the exhaust? I think it depends on the exact tracking of the crack or leak.

Take the burden off and pay someone after they have diagnosed from here on. Then decide what money you want to spend (none I know) and with whom.
                            Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post

Nev
                              I agree and its what I suggested. This will reveal a cracked cylinder wall, wrongly fitted head gasket, etc. It is not the same as having the cylinder head checked. You sound frazzled, and I see why, but you need to listen to some advice and get these basic checks done.
                              Shouldn't have told us you were going to burn it. Insurance will be on to you if it happens now

Comment

Working...
                              X