Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Consumption

hi all,

I recently bought my first 'Real' truck , a 1992 Surf with a 1KZ130 (Auto) engine 3.0L (without turbo). Fitted originally with a 2.4 1KZ-TE, the guy i had brought it from had changed it.

Its running all fine and smooth, however there is something that is worrying me a bit . Reading up on a few past posts, I had come to expect an average of 24mpg which equates to about 10km/L. Im getting around 7Km/L. I changed all the lubricants along with the diesel filter and air filter as soon I got it. Most of the driving is within city (tarmac) and i drive with a light foot and try to keep the RPM in the range of 1.5-2.5. ECT is disengaged as well. Is there anything that i need to do or is it normal? Thanks in advance.

P.S: thanks to many of the members and their posts which i read up on this forum before actually buying one and becoming a member of the Surfer group. Will try to post the pics of my ride soonnn
    OAK

First off, welcome to the forum

Secondly, I don't know the answer to your questions so shouldn't be posting, but.................

24mpg is actually 8.5km/l so you're slightly out there. You're getting 19.7mpg which does seem a little low.
    My 3.0TD gives 24-26mpg if I drive it very, very gently and don't go over 60mph on the motorway and feather it around town.

When your engine was replaced, was the gearbox changed with it? I would assume (although probably wrongly) that the original 2.4 would have lower ratios than the 3.0 which may explain the difference in economy.

TBH though, I don't know what the fuel figures are for that engine, are you sure it should be returning 24mpg for a normally aspirated 3.0l?

Cheers

Chris
    Signature stolen along with Surf...

Comment

Originally posted by oak View Post
      hi all,

I recently bought my first 'Real' truck , a 1992 Surf with a 1KZ130 (Auto) engine 3.0L (without turbo). Fitted originally with a 2.4 1KZ-TE, the guy i had brought it from had changed it.

Its running all fine and smooth, however there is something that is worrying me a bit . Reading up on a few past posts, I had come to expect an average of 24mpg which equates to about 10km/L. Im getting around 7Km/L. I changed all the lubricants along with the diesel filter and air filter as soon I got it. Most of the driving is within city (tarmac) and i drive with a light foot and try to keep the RPM in the range of 1.5-2.5. ECT is disengaged as well. Is there anything that i need to do or is it normal? Thanks in advance.

P.S: thanks to many of the members and their posts which i read up on this forum before actually buying one and becoming a member of the Surfer group. Will try to post the pics of my ride soonnn
      Something's not right here, the 2.4 is not a 1KZ-TE it's a 2L-T or 2L-TE and are you sure you haven't got a 3L engine fitted ?

The 3L is a 2.8 non turbo engine.

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

corsetts:

Thanks for the warm welcome.
        hmm, No i dont think that the gearbox has been changed. Is there any way i can check if its original or has been replaced? What are my options if its the original ?

UDTrev:

My bad...The original engine was a 2.4 2L-TE. The present engine is of the 1KZ series. Wat do u suggest for improving the fuel economy?
        OAK

Comment

Wat do u suggest for improving the fuel economy?
          get a horse to pull it
          or just roll it down hills

welcome to the forum your in the right place here mate
          i get 18 mpg when i drive like i stole it and have had up to 26 mpg when i drive like miss daisy
          cleanlines and grade of fuel will also make a difference
          at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Wat do u suggest for improving the fuel economy?
            Put the turbo back on? As far as I can tell, there has been a 1KZT and a 1KZT-E, but no normally aspirated 1KZ.

As Trev suggested, it could be a 3L (normally aspirated 2.8). Your fuel economy problems could be down to the electronics not being swapped with the engine or something but we need to know what's in there. Can you post up a picture of it?

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy View Post
              get a horse to pull it
              or just roll it down hills
              :

hehehhehee..i was hoping for something rather more technical lolz :P

sancho:

yea..that cud be it. I will try to post the pics tom. Thanks
              OAK

Comment

the pics of the engine are attached. I know its written Turbo Diesel, but the guy i bought it from told me that it was not Please helppppp
                Attached Files
                OAK

Comment

the pics of the engine are attached. I know its written Turbo Diesel, but the guy i bought it from told me that it was not Please helppppp
                  That looks like a 1KZT-E. Is there not a big metal thing that looks kind of like a snail down the left hand side of it, connected to those two big pipes that run over the top?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                    That looks like a 1KZT-E. Is there not a big metal thing that looks kind of like a snail down the left hand side of it, connected to those two big pipes that run over the top?
                    It looks VERY much like a 1KZT-E. I think I can see the turbo just in the very very bottom of the first picture.

If the gearbag has not been changed the engine will rev higher at crusing speed, (thus using more fuel) but transmission lock up in the 2.4 normally happens at 40mph & not 50 mph like the 3.0 ltr one.

This is a real stab in the dark but I wonder if the turbo sensor is connected?
                    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

I think I would check with the seller that he changed the wiring loom and ECU when he swapped the engine.

Can I also see a radiator hose wrapped in gaffer tape???

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                        I think I would check with the seller that he changed the wiring loom and ECU when he swapped the engine.

Can I also see a radiator hose wrapped in gaffer tape???
                        I think you could be right, I've noticed the staining from the blown heater hose that has been replaced.

Also is that the 2.4 turbo sensor next to the air filter? I can't see clearly but the 3.0ltr one is mounted onto the inlet manifold
                        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help so far....I hope ul bear with me a bit longer

Sancho:

i just checked..the seller has left the country :s..can i chk myself if its original or has been changed? wat are the standard markings if any?

coolsv650:

The staining is due to to the fact that cuz of the intense cold, i recently connected the heater which for some reason had been disconnected. It took a lot of pressured air to clear up the pipes which had become clogged with rust etc...didnt get the chance to get it serviced hence the staining (sorry u had to see my dirty laundry )

I plan on visiting my mechanic this Saturday. Nething that I should ask particularly related to the turbo thing?
                          OAK

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help so far....I hope ul bear with me a bit longer

Sancho:

i just checked..the seller has left the country :s..can i chk myself if its original or has been changed? wat are the standard markings if any?

coolsv650:

The staining is due to to the fact that cuz of the intense cold, i recently connected the heater which for some reason had been disconnected. It took a lot of pressured air to clear up the pipes which had become clogged with rust etc...didnt get the chance to get it serviced hence the staining (sorry u had to see my dirty laundry )

I plan on visiting my mechanic this Saturday. Nething that I should ask particularly related to the turbo thing?
                            Shame he's left the country, I was going to suggest a firm, kick to the nuts would help.

Is there an identification plate in the engine bay? If it says LN130, it started off as a 2.4. If it says KZN130, it has always been a 3.0. Check the engine mounts too - I think they would need to be 'adapted' to get a 3.0 in what was originally a 2.4.

The heater was probably disconnected because the heater matrix was leaking. Do you have any dampness in the footwells?

First thing on the turbo is 'is it there?'. Presumably it must be. Ask the mechanic to check the sensors, particularly if the turbo sensor is in the wrong place, and look for signs of things that are connected wrong or not at all that may indicate a job half done on an engine swap.

Comment

hey..thanks for the prompt reply dude
                              and yea i was a in deadly mood as welll

yep there is a plate, just confirmed...its LN130
                              did the heater job last weekend and havent yet had any sort of dampness newhere..thankfully!

will definitely chk abt the turbo and the related electronics..will let u know asap. Thanks again
                              OAK

Comment

Working...
                              X