X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoking on tick-over

Hello all

I have a problem with my surf,
    After she's warmed up and been driven for a while we come to a stand still(as at the traffic lights) she has started to chuck out loads of blue smoke. Doesn't seem to do it whilst moving only when the engine is idling, after accelerating away again she gives a out cloud of smoke and it seems to clear again until i take my foot off the throttle.

Any suggestions as to what it could be.... I have recently changed the oil, all the filters.

Thanks in advance
    Paul

That sounds like dodgy turbo. Did the same on my 850R oil seals had split and it was burning oil left in turbo after a run.
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
      That sounds like dodgy turbo. Did the same on my 850R oil seals had split and it was burning oil left in turbo after a run.
      Hi Ant

how did you fix yours??? Is there somewhere that does seal kits or can refurb the turbo.

I knew i should have kept the unit of the last 3.0 that i stripped and sold
      Typical

Cheers
      Paul

Comment

It was on a remapped race tuned volvo, so sent it to HLM to have it rebuilt. When they start to burn vast amounts of oil the lot needs stripping and rebuilding. It's cheaper to get a 2nd hand one. I only had mine rebuilt cos i had to because of the remap. A recon garrett was far too much.
        you shouldn't pay any more than £100 for a 2nd hand one or a recon exchange.
        Take to have it tested before you mess about with it as it may only need minor work to rectify it.
        Good luck.
        http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

seen them on ebay £180-£220 for a 3.0
          paid turbo technics £500 for them to refurb it completely went in on the promise off about £180 if i remember correctly ,
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
            seen them on ebay £180-£220 for a 3.0
            paid turbo technics £500 for them to refurb it completely went in on the promise off about £180 if i remember correctly ,
            Have you done the EGR mod? If not it could be a faulty EGR valve. I would try it first before going down the expensive turbo route.
            Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins View Post
              Have you done the EGR mod? If not it could be a faulty EGR valve. I would try it first before going down the expensive turbo route.

mines running fine ,
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins View Post
                Yep,,EGR mod done and still smokin' like a trooper on tick-over, Luckily i still have a spare Surf to use while this one is off the road but need to get it fixed before the MOT in April

Comment

Working...
                X