steering probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering probs

Help needed . Steering has started to vibrate, judder through steering wheel when turning thought it might have been dry pump. Checked belts going to ft new set from roughtrax on weekend. Checked power steering fluid seems ok. No sign of leaks from steering box . unable to see pump when looking in bay.no signs of oil on garage floor .Any ideas would be great.

Is it a second generation?

If it's only on full lock, it could be the bumps stops.

If it's all the time, it could be the idler arm.

If it's a 3rd gen, no idea.

Comment

Not too sure they made 3rd gens in 95, could be wrong though.
      http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

I think 3rd gens kicked on in 96 (I think...)

Anyway, The symptoms you describe are exactly the same as mine with my steering stops.

Theres either 4 points each side if i recall, grease them up or get the caps from roughtrax. also make sure your tyres arnt to big the truck, Mine rub occasionally on 265/75/16 on a 2" lift with a hefty negative offset.

Comment

here:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=651

Comment

i would check all the stering joints, starting at the tie-rod ends for slack

Comment

Thanks for the replys. Its a 2nd gen tail drops down. Had another look today its not the bump stops . Definitley on the power steering side of things, move the steering wheel slightly to the left or right and it starts making a noise. Picked up new belts today, so ill start there.

Comment

Originally posted by marfy boy
                Thanks for the replys. Its a 2nd gen tail drops down. Had another look today its not the bump stops . Definitley on the power steering side of things, move the steering wheel slightly to the left or right and it starts making a noise. Picked up new belts today, so ill start there.
                it sounds to me like a pump problem ,air lock possibly causing the pump to run dry (well not really dry but giving the impression)it might be worth try a bleed session by running the engine in neutral turn the steering lock to lock ten times and have a look in the p/s reservoir and see if there are any small bubbles if there is continue turning the steering from lock to lock until the bubbles stop,i have to do this about once a year on my soarer, i
                would think the surf system is very similar.

Comment

I have similar problem with mine. When cold the steering wines when I put any lock on. I think my steering pump may be dry cos it has been leaking and I havn't got round to renewing the seals. I have noticed less leaking recently so I guess that it is running dry. It calms down once I have been driving a little while and the whole thing warms up. If dry will this damage the pump?
                  Member of the 115,000k club

Comment

if the pump is anything like the soarers pump i would think yours is well on the way to being f--ked

Comment

Originally posted by PC-Surf
                      I have similar problem with mine. When cold the steering wines when I put any lock on. I think my steering pump may be dry cos it has been leaking and I havn't got round to renewing the seals. I have noticed less leaking recently so I guess that it is running dry. It calms down once I have been driving a little while and the whole thing warms up. If dry will this damage the pump?
                      Id change the belt aswell mate, If its fubar'ed then it cant be helping.

Im not suggesting the pump is hunky dorey, just id start with the cheaper options before ordering up a new pump.

Comment

The belts seem fine, I have a seal kit from roughtrax which I'm going to try before looking at a new pump. It should work if done right.
                        I hope!! I already replaced the head due to the previous owner running it for years without a water temp guage.

With the pump I'm gonna refil it and put up with the drips on the driveway until my mechanic manages to do the seals.
                        Member of the 115,000k club

Comment

Well I changed the belts, fuel and air filter on the weekend. When I dropped the sump guard I found the problem! The pipe from the p/s reservoir has been weeping leaving a small amount of oil in the sump guard and not on the garage floor. Topped up the p/s tightend clip no more noise. Moral of the story have a good look and drop the sump guard before assuming theres no power steering leaks.

Comment

Working...
                          X