Need help with surf, not going that well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with surf, not going that well

Ok I put this in bullet points, to keep it simple. Ive just got back into the scene after a long time gone.

* recently aquired 93 3.0td 1kzte auto, Stock form. Got it cheap, knowing it had some problems.

* it had a known hard starting problem, perticuly when cold.

* Ive replaced the old fuel filter & fixed vacuum in tank, causing pressure loss at filter pump. Primer pump, isnt rock hard, but only take 1-2 pumps to get real hard & holds it for as long as ive been able to wait.

* Ive bench tested the glow plugs, they heat up ok, Red hot. & cleaned teminals etc when reinstalling. there getting power etc,

* Air filter doesnt look too old. & ive given it an oil change.

* injection pump Has been refurbished or had some work of motor prior to my time. probably at same time cambelt was done. about 30k ago.

* surf is a high mileage one, ( 260k)

*Has a aftermarket glow plug timer of some type. so always does a long glow ( 5-6 sec) before light goes out & starts flashing ( 3-4 times).

* has New Batteries (pair)

* Have no check engine lights occuring ( yes bulb is still ok)

Problems

* starts better when cold now, but still takes 2-3 full cranks. starter motor sound fine. Get a litte lite couloured smoke ,but not as bad as before. sometimes runs rough for a little bit, unless idle up switch used

* is actualy harder to start when warm. takes a fair few cranks (6-10) at least. but starts better if I push accelorator down to the floor. Sometimes get some black smoke with this, sometimes not.

* Has good torque up till 2200 rpm, but has bugger all power after that. It seems unwilling, & doesnt apear that it would rev past 3000 rpm much, if at all. It still blows clean, theres no visibal smoke when looking behind.

* At about 2200 -2500 rpm, i can hear a whislte come on( turbo i guess) But get no increase in power or revs, & still no smoke.

* not geting very good fuel ecconomy at all. I dont drive it hard, tyre presures are fine. have replaced rear lsd diff.

* Seems to get up to normal temp, very quickly, faster than any other diesel ive had, but does not overheat. I do have some coolant loss via a weeping top tank on the radiator, which you will be familia with.

* considering all these problems & age of the surf, It still ticks over well, pulls well up to about 60kms, usng the torque. doesnt blow any smoke of note, apart from start up. But Ive been in a few of these, & it should go better.

So im wondering if anyone can decript all this & offer some more idea's. Im thinking about getting the injectors rebuilt, but not sure if thats actually the problem, due to the lack of smoke. Ive not been able to find any vacuum or air/fuel leaks either. Im hoping to have a boost guage hooked up soon too.

look forward to your replies.
    Last edited by Maddog007; 4 December 2007, 07:36.
    93 ssr-x 3.0td , auto. (kzn130)

also

Ive also noticed that this funny little black VSV (or whaterver thet are called), on the side of the turbo - butterfly pipe is not either pluged in or has any vac lines connected to it. & i cant find any free plugs or vac lines that could go to it ????

Is this important ?

Comment

Its part of the shut down system, stops the motor leaping around when you turn it off. If its disconnected prperly, it'll be fine, but if its stuck on, the truck won't run very well.

Also in your pic, you only have one VSV (the black solonoid, Vacuum Switching Valve), there should be another one on the spare nub that you have sticking out of the intake pipe, they both work the round gold coloured valve. Check you havn't got any other vacuum pipes hanging back there that arn't plugged into anything, they need to be blocked off or you'll loose vacuum.

I'd probably be thinking about a recon set of injectors on that sort of milage, if they havn't been done recently, they generally start to wear out after 100,000kms.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for that, that helps alot, I will take of the pipe & use a little mirror to see if there is any obstruction inside the pipe .

unfortunatly the only downloadable manual ive found, seems to cover everything apart from the section that would explain the workings of this system.

Edit: oh hang on a minute, you mean they all work together to control that mini butterfly , next to the main intake butterfly right ??
        Last edited by Maddog007; 4 December 2007, 10:04.

Comment

judging by the low responces, I guess most of you are as unsure of the problem as i am .

Comment

Hello Owen,

Just wanted to say my ex wife landed in NZ today - if you notice a black cloud suddenly appearing its the evil one lol

Although not forum ettiquette? ask for help on the main forum - some of the guys are good on these trucks (TonyN esp!)

Your help will be forthcoming!

And look out for that cloud (Palmerston North)
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

those clouds wont reach us in canterbury, we just bask in the hot sun, eccept when its $$$$$$ windy, which seems often now days, must be global warming.

Thanks for the tip, i copy & past it in general section.

Comment

Working...
              X