2wd Nothing, 4wd Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2wd Nothing, 4wd Movement

First just a quick hello to all you Surfers on here, your forum was invaluable to me selecting my first surf.

Alas my happiness has been short lived, i've owned my `94 SSR-X 3.0 Auto for 3 weeks and have covered a fair few miles (picking a car up from 120 miles away helped me get the feel for her). Now to my dilema, i just drove around 120 miles to visit some friends and after parking up in a car park have returned to my car to the surprise of having no movement in either forward or reverse gears when in regular 2wd mode, there is also a grinding sound when selecting park from reverse gear. Switched it over to 4wd and the car drives fine (albeit slowly to avoid winding anything up in the axles) and i was able to recover it to my mates house. I read on another engine spec tech help that a guy had the same problem but there appeared to be differences with the way in which the gearbox worked. I have just tried selecting each gear with the 4wd stick and then retrying 2wd but with no success...

Please could somebody tell me if they know what the problem could be and if its terminal on not... The other guys solution was and i quote "gave it some luvin and its fine now..." as you can see thats a great benefit...

Please surf owners, help this poor Newbie

Have you tried it with the 4wd stick pulled right back(2H) towards the drivers seat?

Comment

How are you selecting 4WD? Are you using the button the the small stick to select 4H or using the small lever itself to change betwen 2H and 4L?
      Mike G

Comment

To select 4wd i'm pulling the 4wd selector stick fully rearward and the 4wd light appears on the dash, same as when i push it all the way forward. The light only extinguises when the 4wd stick is in N, as it was when i collected the car 3 weeks ago.

EDIT: Also as far as i can tell the switch on the side of the 4wd gear stick does absolutly nothing...
        Last edited by Hellhound; 17 November 2007, 00:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellhound
          To slect 4wd i'm pulling the 4wd selector stick fully rearward and the 4wd light appears on the dash, same as when i push it all the way forward. The light only extinguises when the 4wd stick is in N, as it was when i collected the car 3 weeks ago.

The lever needs to back pulled back towards the seat, the button on the side out (no 2wd light on the dash)

Comment

Ok give me 2 minutes, gonna go try it.
            Last edited by Hellhound; 17 November 2007, 00:41.

Comment

Ok 4wd Stick pulled back into "H" Position, buton on side of stick out 4wd light on dash still iluminated...

Comment

Ok thanks guys, with the help from you guys and also from one of the rather niftily linked threads at the bottom of the page i got it working again. Had to reverse up about 20 yards then go forwards again to get the light to go out.

Must have knocked the 4wd stick with my knee getting in or out as i have been blessed with ridiculously long legs....

Anyways, thaks again guys for getting me thru the crisis and calming me down somewhat

Comment

4wd wont disengage standing still , its vacuum controlled ,its switches on and off best with a little movement , you dont want to be using 4wd much in the gen 2 anyways , only under certain situations ie- wet, loose , mud etc .

enjoy the motor bud.
                  Last edited by internetsurfer; 17 November 2007, 18:17.

Comment

Yeah i have read about the limitations of 4wd usage on the Gen 2's and only intend to use it when traveling off road across mostly dirt tracks and lose surfaces (there are a few places where i go that my old Fiat Punto failed miserably to traverse).

And yes i shall enjoy it, so far its by far and away then best motor i've owned

Comment

Working...
                    X