yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lower oil pressure - should I be worried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower oil pressure - should I be worried?

The needle on the dashboard oil pressure meter of my KZN130 used to sit perfectly in the centre whilst driving at around 2000 RPM. Over recent months I've notiticed that its dropped about a needle's width for the same RPM. Its now sitting about a needle's width into the 'normal' range....

Should I be worrying about something?

Oil level was fine, and I changed it this morning too - No difference.

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Andrew
    G0RVM

On my 3.0, the needle sits just above the first mark whilst generally pottering around, slightly higher when on the motorway. From what I can gather that's not at all uncommon for a 3.0. However, if yours used to sit in the middle and doesn't now then it might be a sign of something.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

mine is just above the 1st mark ans by the time the motor has been running a while it will drop back to just under the 1st mark but still drives ok
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

If it stays put at its new level its probably just general engine wear, keep an eye on it for a while.

The only rear fix is a new/rebuilt motor, so keep fresh oil in it and see how it goes.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

So where's it supposed to be, mine like the other posters sits around the first mark, on acceleration it rises then falls back once the speed required is reached, I would think this to be normal operation. My truck has around 70,000 on it, no smoke, dodgy noises etc so I'm thinking its sweet as a nut. H

PS just changed all filters/oil

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            If it stays put at its new level its probably just general engine wear, keep an eye on it for a while.

The only rear fix is a new/rebuilt motor, so keep fresh oil in it and see how it goes.
            Mmm, that sounds expensive I will be watching that little needle for every darn mile I now do...

To eliminate the pressure meter and its sender, is it possible to get an independent pressure test? This is something a guy around my local autoparts store suggested. If this is possible, does anyone know if its a straightforward thing to get done and what the bounds of 'normal' pressure would be for a kzn130?

Thanks.
            Regards,
            Andrew
            G0RVM

Comment

Yeah, checking independatly is a good idea. Pressures are

Idle..........29kPa (4.3psi) or more.
              3000rpm...245kPa (33psi) or more.

Oil pressure switch is next to the oil filter, towards the bulkhead, take the sender out and fit the gauge.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                Yeah, checking independatly is a good idea. Pressures are

Idle..........29kPa (4.3psi) or more.
                3000rpm...245kPa (33psi) or more.

Oil pressure switch is next to the oil filter, towards the bulkhead, take the sender out and fit the gauge.

Cheers TonyN.

As usual, a mine of information

Thanks.
                Regards,
                Andrew
                G0RVM

Comment

Can the Sensor be easily tested?

I also have oil pressure issues - mainly lack of it! Gauge reads absolutely zilch - not even slight needle movement even at revs. Grounded the connector & gauge works spot on, therefore my problem is pressure or sensor related. Engine drives spot on, changed oil(semi synthetic)/oil filter/fuel filter yesterday but still no pressure reading. No oil leaks, so I'm 'presuming' that all is ok with the engine (If pressure was that low, am I correct in thinking that it would be evident?)
                  Just got back on road after 5 or so months following ECU failure & pressure was reading before that. I'm presuming that ECU now fully functional & pressure is not related.
                  Can anyone advise on my next step? It's KZN130 Auto.
                  Thanks
                  Martin

Comment

Originally posted by squipper View Post
                    I also have oil pressure issues - mainly lack of it! Gauge reads absolutely zilch - not even slight needle movement even at revs. Grounded the connector & gauge works spot on, therefore my problem is pressure or sensor related. Engine drives spot on, changed oil(semi synthetic)/oil filter/fuel filter yesterday but still no pressure reading. No oil leaks, so I'm 'presuming' that all is ok with the engine (If pressure was that low, am I correct in thinking that it would be evident?)
                    Just got back on road after 5 or so months following ECU failure & pressure was reading before that. I'm presuming that ECU now fully functional & pressure is not related.
                    Can anyone advise on my next step? It's KZN130 Auto.
                    Thanks
                    Martin

If there was no oil pressure and you've been driving it around you would know by now, it would have come to a very expensive, clattery end!

The easiest may to test it is to replace it with a known good one, in the past I have seen mechanics remove the sensor and then run the engine to see if oil comes out, and it does, very very rapidly!

One other way might be to get an oil pressure switch with the same thread as the sender (don't know what it is) & link it to a bulb. run a wire to the positive terminal of the battery and the bulb should light, start the engine and the bulb should go out.

It would be easier to try to get a new sender, or another gauge and fit that instead.
                    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Ive totally given up worrying about mine. Its always low pressure this or slight noise that, and i ended up pannikin at every abnormality that occured.

Bottom line for me is so long as you service well/regularly, and its runnin ok without gettin too hot, then its absolutely fine. She 16 years old so i let her have her occasional moan
                      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
                      X