servicing myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• servicing myself

Chaps, thinking about doing my own service on 3rg gen (for the 1st time ) and have been looking back at past threads regarding servicing, looked at the Milners website and get all 3 filters for a yull brenner +vat, but would i be better off with the roughtrax filters as the oil filter has the non return valve, or just mix and match them from both suppliers, or just get them all from Milners.

The general concensus is that the Roughtrax filters (as with many of the parts) are better quality..If you do your oil changes regularly, it probably doesn't much matter though..

Comment

cheers fella...Roughtrax it is then.
      Originally posted by mickey
      The general concensus is that the Roughtrax filters (as with many of the parts) are better quality..If you do your oil changes regularly, it probably doesn't much matter though..

Comment

Nice to hear you service yourself anyway
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

gonna give it a go, once you have done it..you know the pitfalls the next time, the most tricky is the fuel filter but looks like a couple of nuts on top to loosen and thats it..i hope, would i need to depressurise the fuel lines first or can i just remove it??

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
          Nice to hear you service yourself anyway

Comment

Originally posted by RAPTOR
            gonna give it a go, once you have done it..you know the pitfalls the next time, the most tricky is the fuel filter but looks like a couple of nuts on top to loosen and thats it..i hope, would i need to depressurise the fuel lines first or can i just remove it??
            just undo the the filter to take it off.If you got one of those oil filter strap things then use that to take the filter off that way you don't need to take the complete housing off
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

i have not got one of those strap on thingy's you refer to and probably would not admit to it if i had

i am going to get down and dirty with my surf this weekend and need all the advice i need on doing the service.

redex in the new fuel filter before i fit it.

swish new oil in the new oil filter before it is fitted back

drain the bad oil of and then change the filter????

should i wash the sump out with cheap oil before i put the good stuff in???

Originally posted by stormforce
              just undo the the filter to take it off.If you got one of those oil filter strap things then use that to take the filter off that way you don't need to take the complete housing off

Comment

it won't do any harm to give it a wash thru with some cheap oil first.
                when you undo the 2 bolts on the filter housing then turn the whole lot upside down and put back on over the studs so you can get the filter off easieron the inner wing you will find a wire connecting block from the bottom of the fuel filter undo that before taking the filter off.
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

cheers fella....knuckle rash heaven here i come
                  Originally posted by stormforce
                  it won't do any harm to give it a wash thru with some cheap oil first.
                  when you undo the 2 bolts on the filter housing then turn the whole lot upside down and put back on over the studs so you can get the filter off easieron the inner wing you will find a wire connecting block from the bottom of the fuel filter undo that before taking the filter off.

Comment

Originally posted by RAPTOR

swish new oil in the new oil filter before it is fitted back
                    Oil filters go on 'upside down'. All that will do is make a mess as you try to put it back on!
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

fella , run some old oil or new oil whatever takes your fancy around the rubber sealing ring on the new oil filter , to help get a better seal , its the fuel filter you fill with diesel to help an easier start

once all the engine oil is out , take off the oil filter , on the 2nd gen there's a spill tray with a pipe going down to the floor , this is where you place a bucket to catch what you spill . place new oil filter in place and tighten a little more than hand tight , make sure sump bung is in , and place a funnel inside fill hole. cut 2 small slots in the top of new oil container , this stops that nasty " GLUGGING " effect whilst pouring . check level after 6 litres ,m if ok run the engine for a few mins , wait untill its coldish and check level again , top up as nessecessary , thats alot of sssssss in 1 word.
                      Last edited by internetsurfer; 25 October 2007, 20:06.

Comment

Ta fella, regarding the oil filter, is it just a anticlockwise twist or do i have to break a seal or something??

Originally posted by internetsurfer
                        fella , run some old oil or new oil whatever takes your fancy around the rubber sealing ring on the new oil filter , to help get a better seal , its the fuel filter you fill with diesel to help an easier start

once all the engine oil is out , take off the oil filter , on the 2nd gen there's a spill tray with a pipe going down to the floor , this is where you place a bucket to catch what you spill . place new oil filter in place and tighten a little more than hand tight , make sure sump bung is in , and place a funnel inside fill hole. cut 2 small slots in the top of new oil container , this stops that nasty " GLUGGING " effect whilst pouring . check level after 6 litres ,m if ok run the engine for a few mins , wait untill its coldish and check level again , top up as nessecessary , thats alot of sssssss in 1 word.

Comment

good thinking and totaly plausable.
                          Originally posted by TonyN
                          Oil filters go on 'upside down'. All that will do is make a mess as you try to put it back on!

Comment

anticlockwise - nothing to break , just a sweat if you've no tool to get it off.

Comment

Also reading up on here about greasing the Surf, where do i grease and do i need a grease gun!!!!

is it nipples i need to pay attention to???

Comment

Working...
                              X