Flashing overdrive lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashing overdrive lamp

Yesterday the speedo on my 3.0 turbo diesel decided to die, this morning it decided to work again for a very short period of time and then died again. Shortly afterwards the O/D lamp on the dash started to flash and continues to do so. The speedo worked again tonite for a short space of time, the flashing stopped and all was well again. However, 2 miles down the road, dead speedo and flashing O/D lamp again. Ok, which of you boffins knows what's going on, are the two related, and why is my O/D lamp flashing? Any clue would be most welcome.
    Last edited by Johnsan; 2 October 2007, 22:32.

The gearbox needs the speedo to work, there is a speed sensor in the box, and in the t/case. If one failed you'd get the O/D flashing as its the gearbox fault light.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers, I'll get a man on to it and pass on your info. What's this I've read on one or two other threads about low transmission fluid causing a similar problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnsan
        Yesterday the speedo on my 3.0 turbo diesel decided to die, this morning it decided to work again for a very short period of time and then died again. Shortly afterwards the O/D lamp on the dash started to flash and continues to do so. The speedo worked again tonite for a short space of time, the flashing stopped and all was well again. However, 2 miles down the road, dead speedo and flashing O/D lamp again. Ok, which of you boffins knows what's going on, are the two related, and why is my O/D lamp flashing? Any clue would be most welcome.
        got the same problem as you was sh#tting myself at first thinking big bills coming a knocking, but as tony explained its no big thing, look at in a positive way your mileage aint gonna go up

ps must get around to sorting mine out soon
        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Let us know the fix. I`ve got the same problem. It`s safe to use as is. I`ve checked the back of the dash for loose wires and I`ve checked the speedo-drive mounted just next to the prop. shaft. to no avail. Now, I`ve given up until I get round to the problem again.
          Powered by Toyota!

Comment

So let me get this right, speedo works, lights go out right. No disasters looming on the horizon? I'll get on to it and get back to you.
            Last edited by Johnsan; 3 October 2007, 21:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnsan
              So let me get this right, speedo works, lights go out right. No disasters looming on the horizon? I'll get on to it and get back to you.
              Yep, it`s either the speedo or speedo connections, the two sender units Tony spoke about, or the wiring/connections between them.
              There are quite a few members with no speedo and flashing OD light who have been using as is for extended periods. Did get a speeding fine last week though........
              Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinflight
                Yep, it`s either the speedo or speedo connections, the two sender units Tony spoke about, or the wiring/connections between them.
                There are quite a few members with no speedo and flashing OD light who have been using as is for extended periods. Did get a speeding fine last week though........
                i use a talex lite for my speedo but will glad to hear of the fix
                Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

You can get the gearbox fault codes the same way as the engine, short the diagnosic circuit TE1 and E1, count the flashes of the O/D light to find out the fault.

42-No1 speed sensor
                  61-No2 Speed sensor
                  62-No1 Solonoid
                  63-No2 Solonoid
                  64-Lockup solonoid
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    You can get the gearbox fault codes the same way as the engine, short the diagnosic circuit TE1 and E1, count the flashes of the O/D light to find out the fault.

42-No1 speed sensor
                    61-No2 Speed sensor
                    62-No1 Solonoid
                    63-No2 Solonoid
                    64-Lockup solonoid
                    Thank you for that Tony,