Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil dripping onto fron axle

Hi,

I am about as mechanically minded as a cactus, but I have notivced this weekend that I have quite a volume of oil dripping from the middle of my front axle (presimably dripping from above?).

Going to the garage tommorow, but just wondered what this is typical of.

The Surf done 62K miles, 3.0 TD SSSRG.

Alll thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Raven
    [center][b][i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=silver][/color][/font][/i][/b] [/center][center][b][i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=silver]"THE WIFE'S LITTLE RUN AROUND" - '95 3.0TD SSRG, DARK BLUE[/color][/font][/i][/b][/center][center][b][/b][/center][center][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=#c0c0c0][i]I ONLY GET TO PLAY AT WEEKENDS.......LIFE'S NOT FAIR![/i][/color][/font][/center]

Originally posted by Raven
    Hi,

I am about as mechanically minded as a cactus, but I have notivced this weekend that I have quite a volume of oil dripping from the middle of my front axle (presimably dripping from above?).

Going to the garage tommorow, but just wondered what this is typical of.

The Surf done 62K miles, 3.0 TD SSSRG.

Alll thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Raven
    Check how tight the oil filter is - on the 3.0 there is a drain pipe coming from a catch tray under the oil filter - you may be leaking oil from the filter (I was) and it would drip down onto the axle. Alternative is rocker cover gasket or Sump gasket I would think.

Could also be leaking from the Diff itself.
    Cheers

Comment

Hi raven
      I agee with Andy on this one. I had a leak simillar to yours it looked frightening. It was the front of the rocker box. Because it ran down the exhaust side of the engine the heat from the exhaust thin it out. From there it ran down past the filter to the sump lip on to a tube going accross the vehicle over the aircon rads and driped there. All over the drive. The fan dose not help it blows it every where. My point is that it travels. Clean the engine off, run it and start looking up top.

Good luck
      Geoff.
      Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Cheers guys, I'll let you know what my mechanic says tomorrow.

Raven
        [center][b][i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=silver][/color][/font][/i][/b] [/center][center][b][i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=silver]"THE WIFE'S LITTLE RUN AROUND" - '95 3.0TD SSRG, DARK BLUE[/color][/font][/i][/b][/center][center][b][/b][/center][center][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=#c0c0c0][i]I ONLY GET TO PLAY AT WEEKENDS.......LIFE'S NOT FAIR![/i][/color][/font][/center]

Comment

Working...
        X