vibration and loud dronning noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibration and loud dronning noise

Got a problem that no one can seem to find.

When driving the surf has devolped avibration which is coupled with a loud dronning noise. This happens from 2000rpm upwards. The UJs are all fine prop has been greased. Gearbox changes up and down as and when it should (auto) now and again there is a clonk when selecting reverse gear.

If it was a petrol engine Id say it was a misfire, cant say much more but to say its driving me nuts and we are due to take the caravan away on holiday on Monday, any ideas?

Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Originally posted by mystery
    Got a problem that no one can seem to find.

When driving the surf has devolped avibration which is coupled with a loud dronning noise. This happens from 2000rpm upwards. The UJs are all fine prop has been greased. Gearbox changes up and down as and when it should (auto) now and again there is a clonk when selecting reverse gear.

If it was a petrol engine Id say it was a misfire, cant say much more but to say its driving me nuts and we are due to take the caravan away on holiday on Monday, any ideas?

Thanks for any help and advice in advance.
    have the wheel bearings been checked if its a dronning noise
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thanks yes front and rear wheel bearings checked all ok?

Comment

thanks yes front and rear wheel bearings checked all ok?
        brakes aren't binding are they
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks again m8 Brakes are all fine

Comment

hmm, i had a "wheel bearing" drone one, or at least its what i thought..my mate, who is a mechanic assumed the same when i forced him into the passenger seat to have a listen..this too was acompanied by an annoying vibration through the foot pedal..turned out the tyre had gone out of shape..apparently it was an origional, and probably sitting around in japan, or on the quay side hadn't done "it" any favours..i say "it", because over a period of months, they all went the same way..why it took so long to manifest, i don't know..maybe they'd just weakened..anyway..it was a good excuse for me to invest in some goodrich mud-terrains, which look great, and handle fantastically..

of course..your symptoms might, and probably do point to something totally unrelated..but thought i'd add my experience to the list of "maybe's"..good luck.

Comment

Thanks for that its worth checking out the tyres are all fairly new BF Goodridge A/T but will check it out.

I will try just about anything as even the garage cant find anything, but it appeared just like that came home from work all ok went to work next day and it just started and has got worse since, at my wits end with it and £200 down

Comment

urggg! as you've said your tyres are recent and decent, i doubt your problem is similar to mine..as you say, worth a check..but when i posted my experience, it turned out that the origional jap boots, with age, are prone to doing strange things..i was kinda hoping you'd be running on dated rubber too, in which case, my "heads up" might have carried more weight..underbody noises are so frustrating aren't they? i've just swapped all my wheels around, hoping my "strange noise" is due to flinging off a wheel balance weight on a curb or something..dunno if it had weights before, but it certainly hasn't now!! all i got on the test drive yesterday was wind noise, cause i have to be doing 50mph to hear what i'm listing for..which my wife thinks is all in my imagination anyway (i assume a common occurence among fellow surfers?)

anyway..good luck in getting your noise diagnosed cheaply.can i just offer this, as an afterthought? check the pipe that pushes into the airfilter housing?.maybe it popped out? i know, i know..really clutching at straws, and the noise ain't even similar to that! i know that sometimes my airfilter reverberates in the housing, and that kicks in at 2000 rpm'ish..i wiggle, or change the filter, then its fine, until next time..roughtrax also do a snazzy blue airbox hose which runs quieter than the ole black didgerydoo..

Comment

It sounds like the droning noise is the tyres, and the vibration is as Mickey suggested, a wheel balance weight missing.

Comment

Does it do it when coasting, under power, in N or just in gear? is it related to road speed or engine speed?

Try and narrow things down a little and it might help pin point the problem.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

OK thanks here goes.

H/L transfer lever rattles at tickover when on the move the problem ie worse as engine speed increases so does the vibration up to 2000rpm this is then coupled with this drone which if you open a window slightly disapears. If youu continue to increse speed at about 75mph and just short of 3000rpm it all disapears returning as speed road and engine drop. This happens in gears 2nd and D with O/D on or off.

If you build speed up to around 55/60mph then knock it into N the noise and vibration disapear as engine speed drops back to below 1500rpm and speed reduces putting back into D or 2 returns engine revs to 2000rpm and your back to square one.

Thats about it but will try anything and try to answer any further questions.

Thanks for all your help and advice so far

Comment

i'm out of my depth regarding the technicalities, so i'll leave them to those that know what they're talking about..however, for what it's worth, my hi-lo 4wd selector vibrates too..always has done, at idle it's there, but not as pronounced, and increases in frequency whilst driving..admittedly, it doesn't "drone", so obviously for you to notice any sort of sound means something has changed with your's..but i can say, your's ain't the only rig with a "rampant rabbit" 4wd selector, i'm guessing they all vibrate to a degree?

you've just reminded me..i really really need to get the auto box fluid changed in mine.

Comment

OK so far, when it does it in the different gears, are the vibes engine RPM related, or road speed related?

It it does the same at 50mph no matter what gear your in, engine revs will all be different and you can rule out motor issues.

If its a motor thing, it will do it at the same RPMs, for different road speeds for each gear.

OK thanks here goes.

H/L transfer lever rattles at tickover when on the move the problem ie worse as engine speed increases so does the vibration up to 2000rpm this is then coupled with this drone which if you open a window slightly disapears. If youu continue to increse speed at about 75mph and just short of 3000rpm it all disapears returning as speed road and engine drop. This happens in gears 2nd and D with O/D on or off.

If you build speed up to around 55/60mph then knock it into N the noise and vibration disapear as engine speed drops back to below 1500rpm and speed reduces putting back into D or 2 returns engine revs to 2000rpm and your back to square one.

Thats about it but will try anything and try to answer any further questions.

Thanks for all your help and advice so far
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks thats ruled out any motor related issuses.

Must be the wheels tyres or drive train off to get wheels checked report back later this evening or tomorrow.

Thank again to all of you for your comments and help

Comment

I had that at 50. Changed my diff oil for good quality stuff. Fine now
                              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
                              X