New Engine, No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Engine, No Power

Where do I start? Basically I had a nackered engine and got a new one from Parts Plaza . I have had the engine fitted but when I went to pick the truck up the mechanic told me that the engine management light was on but he didn't had the kit to diagnose it but told me it seemed to be running fine. Not sure what he means by fine but theres now more power in my kids electric car than there is in my 3ltr beast . Another thing I should add is that it cost me an extra £300 because something happened to the ECU during fitted and had to be sent away to be repaired
    I took it to Toyota today who came out with a fault code of 14 which seems to be along the lines of a faulty injector pump or faulty timing of said pump. I have had a look in my trusty book and it told me to check a load of resistances on the pump which I did and as far as I can see checked out ok. Haven't managed to check the timing yet though not too sure whats involved.
    Has anyone had this type of problem and how much am I looking at to get the pump repaired/replaced if required.

Originally posted by lambo1821
    Where do I start? Basically I had a nackered engine and got a new one from Parts Plaza . I have had the engine fitted but when I went to pick the truck up the mechanic told me that the engine management light was on but he didn't had the kit to diagnose it but told me it seemed to be running fine. Not sure what he means by fine but theres now more power in my kids electric car than there is in my 3ltr beast . Another thing I should add is that it cost me an extra £300 because something happened to the ECU during fitted and had to be sent away to be repaired
    I took it to Toyota today who came out with a fault code of 14 which seems to be along the lines of a faulty injector pump or faulty timing of said pump. I have had a look in my trusty book and it told me to check a load of resistances on the pump which I did and as far as I can see checked out ok. Haven't managed to check the timing yet though not too sure whats involved.
    Has anyone had this type of problem and how much am I looking at to get the pump repaired/replaced if required.

The timing belt may have jumped a tooth on the fuel pump. It's easy to check on the 3.0, just remove the fan assembly and the engine cover, using a socket and bar on the crankshaft pulley nut, turn the the engine over clockwise until the timing marks on the fuel pump, crankshaft and camshaft are all lined up with their corosponding marks on the engine.

Comment

Sounds good mate I'll try that tomorrow. Do you know if that sounds like the kind of symtoms I would get if it had jumped a tooth, i.e. lack of power?

Comment

Sounds good mate I'll try that tomorrow. Do you know if that sounds like the kind of symtoms I would get if it had jumped a tooth, i.e. lack of power?
        as the bulldog says.....OH YES!
        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
        Tony

Comment

Yup.
          You say Toyota garage came up with code 14? the codes I have only go up to 13. http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/efifaultcodes.htm

You may have a turbo boost problem, which is usually just a small rubber pipe that's come adrift somewhere or connected wrongly.

Comment

I have the engine repair manual supplement for the 1KZ-T, 1KZ-TE from rough trax and it has all the codes up to 50 odd.

There are alot of little pipes about which I'll need to spend some time investigating if they have been put back in the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              Yup.
              You say Toyota garage came up with code 14? the codes I have only go up to 13. http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/efifaultcodes.htm

You may have a turbo boost problem, which is usually just a small rubber pipe that's come adrift somewhere or connected wrongly.
              The 3.0 has the generic ODB codes, they are different to the 2.4, which just goes 1 to 13.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE/

You want to get the ECU checked, try a known working one, I've tried to have 2 repaired in the past, niether worked again!
              I also used a 2nd hand engine before that was 'warrentied this, genuine that', that came out again as it had a cracked head and knackered big ends and was worn worse than the one we took out originally.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Alright thats me checked everything I know I can. All the timing marks line up and all the resistances that my book told me to check on the injection pump seem fine. HELP!
                I think the Garage that fitted the engine still have the old engine with the injection pump so I may have the option to change it out. Does anyone have any other ideas before we go down this path?

Comment

Working...
                X