96 3.0td brake hose question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 3.0td brake hose question

Hi Guys, I need to replace my front brake hoses. Milners price - £7.50 ea and Rough Trax - £39.95 ea! Can anyone tell me if i'm missing something? Also, i'm told I need a new front shock absorber as the rubber bush is worn. Can I replace just 1 side or should it be done in pairs?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Originally posted by burt SSR-G
    Hi Guys, I need to replace my front brake hoses. Milners price - £7.50 ea and Rough Trax - £39.95 ea! Can anyone tell me if i'm missing something? Also, i'm told I need a new front shock absorber as the rubber bush is worn. Can I replace just 1 side or should it be done in pairs?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    ideally done in pairs.
    The brake hoses sound like you were looking at the braided ones which i think are a bit more exspensive
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks Richard, cheaper hoses and 2 shocks - simple! Any recommendations for buying the shocks? I need them PDQ as it failed the mot.

Comment

Try www.toyotahilux.com and see if they got them and if so you will get them next day

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
          Try www.toyotahilux.com and see if they got them and if so you will get them next day
          He did!!! He was wondering why they are so much more.

Roughtrax hose are stainless braided ones, and are the nuts. They don't swell like rubber ones so give better pedal feel. Always recommended from now on.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            He did!!! He was wondering why they are so much more.

Roughtrax hose are stainless braided ones, and are the nuts. They don't swell like rubber ones so give better pedal feel. Always recommended from now on.

what a muppet i am.

Comment

if you dont want to spend that amount on the brake hoses then milners do the front brake hose for £7.50each + +vat + p&p and item number 000288
              front shocks item number 004978 and £35 +vat + p&p each

Comment

Many thanks - i'll be on the phone to Milners tomorrow

Comment

Many thanks - i'll be on the phone to Milners tomorrow
                  Hey Mike you gonna join us in september for the rtts.
                  Where abouts are you down here also

Comment

3 rd GEN??????????????????
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                      3 rd GEN??????????????????

I don't understand i'm afraid.

Yeah, hoping to get down in Sept, but prob' only be during the day as i'm in the process of buying a pub!

I'm in Torpoint - the pub has no parking or camping facilities!!

Comment

I don't understand i'm afraid.

Yeah, hoping to get down in Sept, but prob' only be during the day as i'm in the process of buying a pub!

I'm in Torpoint - the pub has no parking or camping facilities!!
                        Nice one.ive always fancid having my own boozer

Comment

Just a note, 3rd gens don't have shocks on the front like a 2nd gen, its a McPherson strut. You need to get the coil spring off it once its out of the car which needs at least decent spring compressers as its under a lot of pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                            Just a note, 3rd gens don't have shocks on the front like a 2nd gen, its a McPherson strut. You need to get the coil spring off it once its out of the car which needs at least decent spring compressers as its under a lot of pressure.

Tony, i'm really confused now. It's a '96 KZ185 and i'm sure it's a 3rd Gen and i'm sure it's got shocks on the front too. The garage have told me the bush is worn on one of my front shocks and needs replacing. Are you saying the shock is there but it's more awkward to do on a 3rd Gen?
                            Thanks

Comment

If you have a lift up tailgate you have struts on the front.

Unbolting the unit is no harder than changing a shock, but getting the coil string off and fitted to the new strut is more challenging without the right gear.

Look up MacPherson strut on google images, you'll get the idea. The Surf one is more of a shock with a coller halfway down to support the spring.

Infact search for front strut 4runner and you'll get picks of what yours looks like.

Comment

Working...
                              X