Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed

I took my 96 3rd gen 3.0 td for MOT and it failed on the steering rack end joint. I am in the process of fitting a rough trax replacement. It failed on a couple of other things but these are now mostly sorted.

HOWEVER - once the boot is peeled back it reveals a nice clean well greased joint. The play seems to be coming from the rack itself. Can they be adjusted and if so how? If I replace the end joint and they still find play I can't demand an MOT pass can I

Any help urgently required as I need to be back on the road by Tuesday and it's not looking too good! ?

waveydavey00
    View Public Profile
    Find More Posts by waveydavey00
    Add waveydavey00 to Your Buddy List

Have you done this one

http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=172&vid=703

Mine had movement turned out to be this rubber D bush... just a thought
    Good hunting..

Comment

Mot

Originally posted by waveydavey00
      I took my 96 3rd gen 3.0 td for MOT and it failed on the steering rack end joint. I am in the process of fitting a rough trax replacement. It failed on a couple of other things but these are now mostly sorted.

HOWEVER - once the boot is peeled back it reveals a nice clean well greased joint. The play seems to be coming from the rack itself. Can they be adjusted and if so how? If I replace the end joint and they still find play I can't demand an MOT pass can I

Any help urgently required as I need to be back on the road by Tuesday and it's not looking too good! ?

waveydavey00
      View Public Profile
      Find More Posts by waveydavey00
      Add waveydavey00 to Your Buddy List
      Could be time to get a second opinion!! I'm very sceptical of some of these MOT places, they maybe having a bad month so need to increase there income.....know what I mean.

Comment

If it failed on the end joint, just change it, chances are they will only have a squint for a shiny new bit and call it good. Don't leave it longer than ten days or they will have to do a whole new test.

They are probably talking about lift in the ball joint at the end of the rod anyway, try it with a pry bar to find the wear.

You don't wanna get involved in a new rack unless needed, its the thick end of £800 from Toyota, and we havn't found any re-conned ones yet.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Steering Rack

Hi fo the last 4 years the M.O.T. testers have tried ti fail her 3rd gen on the steering rack, untill l pointed out the "D" bushes even with new bushes there is some movement as Tony said they will proberly just look under see the new part and pass it off.
          Live Life To The Full

Comment

Having been involved in testing vehicles for many years the thing most testers miss is having the engine running while checking the rack to load the seals this often results in a unnecessary failure, get it rechecked with the engine running if the play is still excessive then think about replacement.
            ionic SURFactant

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I have replaced the other end joint and it does seem better. The play was transferring along I think. They saw a shiny new set of urethane bushes and a new joint and all is good in the world.

It does seem better with the engine running so that must be Ok then.

I still have not managed to open the sunroof though. Anyone help? I can not find this screw everyone tells me about.

Thanks again.

Comment

I had the same on my mot.On third gens the rubber bushes go on the steering rack and causes the rack to move when the wheel is turned.I fitted the poly bush kit roughtrax do for the steering rack and alll was well even felt alot better on the road
                I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Working...
                X