Engine will not idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine will not idle

Hopefully some one out there will know the answer to my big girl's problem. I filled up the KZN 130 (1994) with unleaded, ran it 3 miles till it slowly died, opened the bonnet, then read the receipt, quickly closed bonnet and opened wallet. Drained tank with flower pot, filled with diesel. Ran okay, bit smokey, for 600 miles (didn't change fuel filter) and now it will not idle when warm. OK on cold start, idles about 750 rpm but when warmed up, taking foot off accelerator causes the revs to drop below 500, lots of noise and smoke and engine stalls. Ran ok for 250 miles on M6 without problem after this. She's off for MOT today and I've ordered new fuel filter and some stuff to put in filter to flush through the system as I know she won't pass on emissions. Think the ECU controls the idle RPM via the fuel pump, but not sure. Can petrol cause damage to the fuel pump or a sensor for the ECU? All this after a new cylinder head a few weeks ago, think i need a new head too!! Any help will be appreciated by both of us.

Is the red check engine light on?
    Maybe the fault is still logged in the ECU. Try disconnecting the batteries for half an hour to re-set the ECU.

Comment

Dont think the kzn130 has a engine check light.....if it has somebody tell me where mine is.

As for damage.... it can in some cases damage the fuel pump seals etc as the petrol eats the seals where as diesel self lubes.
      Also in extreme cases and long periods running petrol can cause burning of the valve seats.
      BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by Grimreeper
        Dont think the kzn130 has a engine check light.....if it has somebody tell me where mine is.
        Take a look at the pic below, you won't have a turbo light but you WILL have the check light.

Trev

Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Back idling again thanks!

Much appreciate your suggestions. Many thanks. Now for the confession......
          Found a couple of vac pipes not connected up!! Connected up and hey presto back to normal. MOT pass also. Too good to be true, after all the sheckles thrown at her and the thought of a damaged fuel pump. Deep depression now postponed. Off to give her a road test, Manchester, Bristol then Gllasgow. Cheers
          Robin B.

Comment

Working...
          X